Setting up an XP machine as an external HDD over Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by maximumbarkly, May 25, 2006.

1. maximumbarkly macrumors member

Mar 15, 2005
    As stated in the title, is there any way I could do this? Maybe in multiple steps... like making it an exclusive FTP server then tricking the machine into thinking it is a drive.
  2. Rspaight macrumors newbie

May 23, 2006
    You can share the entire drive (at least in XP Pro -- enable sharing in the Sharing tab of the Properties menu for the root directory of the drive), and then attach to it as a network drive in OS X. I do this to back up my iTunes library.
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Unless you actually mean something else... Any time you mount a network share it looks like a drive to OS X, so you don't even have to share your entire drive to make an XP box look like and external ethernet HDD. FWIW XP Pro actually creates a default hidden "administrative" share for each HDD in your machine \\machine\c$, and you can access that with an administrator's username/password.

If that's all you need your XP box to do I'd suggest you look into something a bit more lightweight and/or Mac friendly, i.e. use a Linux distro and NFS or even Darwin instead of XP.

4. maximumbarkly thread starter macrumors member

Mar 15, 2005
    I cannot find the simple file sharing... and I'm directly connecting the XP machine to the back of my iMac via ethernet, no router. I don't want that machine to access the internet.

If only if only i could hold down "T."