Setting up AOL broadband on new PB... and I'm clueless...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Piarco, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Well I've had my new 12" PB for 2 days - and I'm so impressed. Only had to restart it once and that was down to me not putting a file in the right folder, so that fact that Mac OS's are more stable is definately true....
    I've installed all of the programs I need, but setting up my internet is proving a pain. I've read that AOL broadband doesn't support Apple comps, but as I'm only 3 months into a 12 month contract its not like I can change. I've downloaded the correct modem drivers, can't seem to get anyting setup - AOL just opts for the inbuilt modem or the wireless coms ports.....

Has anyone setup AOL broadband on their Mac? It may just be a UK problem, but it'll be good to know...

And has anyone used bluetooth to share a net connection between a PC and a PB? I've already got a BT PC so I could use that until I get a wireless router... any experience?

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i think the problem is that the modem isnt compatible with apple. i have tried my friends aol broadband with my pb and it didnt work.

i think the new rules now state that you can change dsl providers at anytime for free. i would look on other providers websites. i am with pipex (pipex.net) and its reliable (so far!)

i also wouldnt try to share your connection via bluetooth. it would be slower than dial up! i presume you will have an airport card in your pb. so if you have one in your other comp you will be able to do it that way.

good choice in your comp though!

3. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Yep just realised about the speed of bluetooth when I swapped some files between the PC and PB!
    AOL so far have been hopeless, their live help actually just told me to call Customer Services as "we're a windows only helpdesk" which is pants...
    I'll give them a go and see if they can sort it out. Ideally I would like to get a wireless router and use that for both computers - but thats only if AOL are up to the task....

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why, by the mercy of god, did you get into that contract? AOL blows and sucks at the same time creating a colossal cosmos of suck.

5. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Standard for the UK I'm afraid! Can't even move house without incuring a charge.... although if russed is right I could switch - I just need to look into it a little....

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

There are plenty of providers apart from aol!!! And being in London means you have even more choice, check out BullDog for some great deals.

7. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

I just took the easy route when I moved down here as I had an old dial-up account still active, so it got me up and running faster. I had Blueyonder in Newcastle... god I miss blueyonder!
    If contracts no longer apply I'm definately leaving - I've seen those ads for Bulldog on the tube and was intrigued why they could offer so much for so litle...

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Your AOL contract will have a minimum term of 12 months, as is standard for most things (even pipex has this). You CAN opt out of it - that is your statutory right - but you will lose out in the process (although it may be the only option in your case).

You probably got a free connection and modem with your AOL package. The connection fee alone is worth £58. However, AOL, like other providers, will pay this charge for you subject to you staying with them for the minimum contract period (i.e. the 12 months). If you opt out before then, you will have to pay the £58 in full and return or pay for the modem. This is just like contract mobile phones - if you don't last the 12 month contract, you have to either give up the phone or pay for it yourself. And the "free" upgrade after 12 months is not free - it just means you pay for it with your line rental for the following 12 months instead of having your line rental drop in price.

I have pipex and highly reccommend it (solo.pipex.co.uk) but they issue USB modems which are not any good for sharing an internet connection (wirelessly for example). You'd have to buy a separate router later for that. Have a search for some other ones - I've noticed Tesco is now offering broadband - unlimited 512k for £19.99 a month. I used Tesco dial-up and thought it was a good service. And that service is definitely compatible with Mac OS X.

In summary then: you can change, but it'll cost you. Good luck.

9. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I dont have an answer to you but i have a tip, change you isp!

I never liked AOL, i much rather have an ip address given to me and everything else and just use the default web browser (mac=safari, pc=ie), i never liked the AOL software it might be good 4 years ago but not now.

10. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Out of curiosity I picked up a Tesco Internet CD a few weeks back, it has Installation software for Mac and PC for both it's dialup and broadband services - free connection, modem and unlimted downloads. I don't know what the service is like though.

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Tesco products are good in my opinion. We had Tesco dialup until June when we moved to broadband. I would have gone with Tesco again, but they didn't offer broadband at the time. So I went with Pipex, after advice from a friend. My service is only 256k for £17.99 a month but the big deal for me is that it is unlimited. My parents didn't want to go much higher than that (Pipex 512k unlimited is £23 a month while their 512k with 1GB monthly limit is £19.99). I'll stick with them for 12 months and then may change to Tesco, but I'll be away from home anyway by then and my parents aren't too fussed about broadband anyway - the 256k is fine for them.

Tesco has been careful not to parade itself as the cheapest but I had a look on their website and it is 512k unlimited usage per month for just £19.99 - the best I've seen for 512k unlimited, and twice the speed for the same price and features of AOL's much advertised Silver broadband option. Like I said, I would change to Tesco, but I'm only a couple of months into a 12 month minimum contract... ;)