Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graciedontknow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Okay, so I am getting paid by my dad to set up his bellsouth.net email on his iPad and iPhone, as he is still a bit of a tech noob. But, now I am super confused and am wondering if this is an impossible task, I've turned to MacRumors because I saw something about Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Outlook that helped my but I have much further questioning....

So, he is using not at&t or Yahoo! as his mail thing (which I believe bellsouth has switched to?), but he is using it with Microsoft Outlook and I am still unsure about Microsoft things... so... I have tried multiple times by going to 'add new mail account' and then selecting 'other' and filling in what I thought was correct then realizing it was setting it up with at&t and Yahoo! which some how made a whole new account and was not the correct email. I am assuming this is because his email and linking with Microsoft Outlook on his Dell computer... So then I went and tried to set it up with the 'Microsoft Exchange' option... but can't seem to maneuver it and figure out the correct settings...

SO, my question is am I right in setting it up with 'Microsoft Exchange or should I have done it with 'Other'? I am so confused, if the former, what should I set for the settings??? Is it even possible to set up this type of email account??

Thanks to whoever took the time to read this xD. and whoever helps me figure this out will be my HERO! Haha thankss.

darrell2nc

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
Hey graciedontknow-if you have come up with an answer for this please post here. I just got off the phone with ATT (I called Bellsouth support and ATT answered). After talking to 6 different people I still do not have an answer. Lemmeno if you found anything out.

johncarty

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2011
i work for att here is the set up info for email.
configure mail under yahoo settings, if that doesnt work do manual create.

pop server
-----------
pop.att.yahoo.com

smtp server
-----------
smtp.att.yahoo.com

pop3 userid
-----------
email@att.net (replace email with what precedes the @bellsouth.net)

incoming mail server: POP3
Outgoing mail server: Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
Incoming Mail Port: 995 SSL checked
Outgoing mail port: 465 SSL checked

IP adresses for the Yahoo POP and SMTP
POP: 68.142.229.13
SMTP: 68.142.229.41

https://www.wireless.att.com/support/chooseDevice.do?universe=&make=All&dest=tutorials

he can also check email by going to att.net and logging in.

Last edited:

MochaBear

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Outgoing message issue

Thanks for the help. It worked on inbound email but I cannot send. I tried manual configuration of outbound mail but no luck. Any ideas?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
SO, my question is am I right in setting it up with 'Microsoft Exchange or should I have done it with 'Other'?
It is definitely not Exchange (or ActiveSync).

You could look at his Outlook settings for the mail account settings though Outlook may not have SMTP authentication enabled if Bellsouth/at&t is his ISP.

Last edited:

dbesgirl

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
Bellsouth Legacy emails on AT&T / Yahoo

Important Update!
All legacy BellSouth customers have been migrated to the new AT&T/Yahoo platform and should use the Email Configuration Site.

What worked for me was
youremail@bellsouth.net
Incoming (IMAP) imap.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing (SMTP) smtp.att.yahoo.com
Select SSL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.