setting up DSL connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bill4588, Feb 22, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

When I get my iBook, how will I set up my Bellsouth DSL connection that's currently plugged into my PC? It was a HUGE pain to set up for my HP computer but I heard it's just plug and go with Mac's but I'm not sure how accurate that is. How would it work?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Do you want both computers on the internet? If so, you'll need to pick up a router (unless your DSL modem has more than 1 Ethernet port on it). If you need to get one, I'd recommend a Linksys 4 port router. They're very easy to configure and its a good quality router. If you want to go wireless, an AirPort Express ($99 USD) would work well in your environment.

If you're just plugging the DSL into your Mac, then it should be plug n use depending on how BellSouth does their DSL. All ISPs do things differently, but a lot of them are just plug it in, wait for the computer to get an IP address and then you're off and running. Mac OS X is pretty good and doing all of the above without too much trouble.

3. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The Bellsouth will have a Mac version of there software. I had bellsouth when i lived in ATL so it isnt hard at all just go through the steps.

If you already set up your DSL with your HP computer then its just plug n play with the Mac.

Bless

5. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

that's good to hear (plug and play). And I was thinking about getting a wireless router cuz I would love to use my iBook while im in bed or anywhere in the house. But I'm going to college in August so I would only be able to enjoy the router for a couple months (my college has wi-fi all over the place). So I think I will just hook it up directly when I'm at home.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well you still got to come back home so the wireless is not bad at all...enjoy it whiles you can.

Bless