Setting Up Home Internet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cmaracz88, Oct 8, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Sep 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON
    I am using DSL and have two computers in my house. The first is a desktop, and the other is an iBook. Right now my DSL modem is connected to a router which is connected by two ethernet cables to both computers. I would like to connect my iBook using airport but I still need to have the dekstop conencted by ethernet cable.

Can I connect a airport compatible wireless router by line to my current router so I can still use that router to connect the desktop to? That would save me money. Or do I need to buy one of those wirless and four ethernet cable port combo routers?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    This is what you want

Plug this into your wired router and your iBook can use it to connect to the internet.
  3. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Yeah, just make sure whatever you buy is a Wireless Access Point, not a Wireless Router.
  4. macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i had trouble finding many straight access points at bestbuy ..... so i ended up jsut getting an 802.11g router for like 80 bucks which isn't bad imo ... worse comes to worse u have to get a wifi router and you simply have to replace the current router