Setting up Mail account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ani1957, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ani1957 macrumors newbie

Could anybody talk me through setting up a Mail account? My ISP provider is tiscali. I really want to be able to email photos from iPhoto but can't seem to set up a Mail account. Tried a POP account with incoming mail server of pop.tiscali.co.uk (and .com). Goes away and tries to connect but nothing happens. Don't really understand what info I should be putting where - so would appreciate a hand, guys.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

From the tiscali.co.uk website:

Incoming mail (POP3) - pop.tiscali.co.uk
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) - smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Username: Use full email address (e.g. you@tiscali.co.uk)

3. ani1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still having problems

Thanks for that. Got a bit further but the login failed. Asked me to check username & password, which I know are correct.
    One thing - on the previous screen it asks me if I want to set up a Mac account, a POP account or an IMAP or an EXCHANGE account. Chose a POP account. Is that correct?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know about Tiscali for sure, but some ISPs will only let you send email when you're connected to the 'net through one of their internet connections. In other words, if you're at a coffee shop or something, sometimes the ISP will restrict you from sending email.

Yeah, POP account is correct too.

Maybe try the user name without the @tiscali.co.uk too.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, it's difficult without knowing more about Tiscali. :eek:

5. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Pop account should be the correct setting.

You might want to try gmail's pop email, it works very well with Mail and it comes with a guide on how to set it up.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I take that back about the user name, it's definitely you're full email address according to this. By the way, that link is a guide to setting up an account using Outlook Express. You might want to check it out just to make sure your settings look similar. :)