setting up mail with web based mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wally, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Wally macrumors member

I dunno if this affects most college students, but my college uses a web based server for all college mail. I was able to set up mail to receive the mail from this server, but havent been able to get the mail to be sent out. Does anybody know how to remedy this problem and set up the server to be able to send mail out? I know i havent given much information but any suggestions on where to look for this information would be awesome.

Alex

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My uni was the same. I was told it won't work because you must be connected to the uni's network to use their SMTP server, although this is overridden if you use a browser. :(

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Via what sort of source do you get your internet connection? Are you in a dorm or in an apartment or...?

If you're in an apartment and purchasing DSL or Cable service, then use the SMTP server from your ISP. You should be able to send e-mail with any of your e-mail addresses using their SMTP server. If you're at your school... your school really honestly doesn't have an SMTP server? Are you sure? What does the "web based" part mean? Are you using something like MacFreePOPs, or do you have a POP or IMAP connection to your university? If the latter, it's really not web-based.

4. Wally thread starter macrumors member

yea its a issue with the smtp server... but why can i get mail just not send it? As for the latter i set it up with the exchange account not pop... Pop didnt seem to work. When i said web based i mean that i have to access everything through a web site... not like mail when u open the program from the computer.

Alex

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

SMTP is used only for sending. You'll probably be using POP or IMAP to receive your mail, which is why you're not running into SMTP issues while receiving.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you have an account on an Exchange server. And you were accessing it with some web-based utility (probably a derivative of Outlook Web Access). And then you got Mail.app to connect to the Exchange Server for incoming (receiving) mail, but you cannot send. Right so far?

What options do you have for send server with Exchange? Can you send mails using Exchange service rather than SMTP?