Setting up my PB, just had some basic questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I am so exited to finally have a new Mac after 2 1/2 years of using PCs (which I've realized aren't so horrible). I just had some basic questions about the Powerbook:

Mine only came with 2 Apple hardware discs. Is that normal? I thought it came with the iLife disc and other software. Also, is it normal to have to push a disc almost all the way in before the drive takes it? Plus, the trackpad button is kind of stiff, but this was the same thing I noticed at the Apple Store, so I'm guessing this is normal.

I did take pictures though and will post them as soon as I set everything up. :D

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apple's discs are DVDs now so one of them will be your Restore DVD which has the OS as supplied to you (probably 10.3.7 or 8) and iLife 05 as the apps installed within it. The hardware test is usually on this one too.

The other disc is probably the 'Additional' Software' one which has the 'extra' stuff that's installed on the Mac - Omnigraffle etc on the PB, Appleworks etc on an iBook.

Yes, you'll need to push a disk about 3/4 of the way in before the slot drive will 'suck' it in.

Trackpad button will loosen off.

3. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Great info. Thanks!