Setting up new users question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by rdowns, Oct 2, 2004.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'm giving my old iMac to my step-father and am setting up a new user account (no admin) for him. SO far I've been able to set up the account, limit the software he has access to and simplifying it as much as possible for him.

I plan on keeping my user account (admin) on the computer for when he has trouble and so I can do updates and maintenance for him.

I can't figure out how to give his account access to my iTunes files and photo folder. I tried to copy it to his folders in his home directory but system would not allow it. How do I give him access to the iTunes library and iPhoto collection?

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

There's a trick to iTunes where you move your music folder in the preferences to a public location. By default, it is in your User folder, which is private to all other users. If you made a music folder at the root level or even in your ~/Public folder and pointed iTunes there, you would be able to share the music. The other trick is the library file, where you'd need to share the it between users because its location does not change. So you need to do this with aliases to point to the same file. There are other threads on this and I'm sure someone else can detail it better than I can.

As for iPhoto, I don't know about sharing those libraries because iPhoto can't move its library location and doesn't sort/file pictures like iTunes does music. But there's probably a solution for that too...

cpjakes

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If you just have to move them the one time and be done with it, put everything in the shared folder under your account and then log in as him and retrieve it.

If you need to truly 'share', I believe the secret is to put the music and other iTunes files in the 'shared' folder, then make aliases of the music library file and XML file and place those in your respective iTunes folders in your music folders. Every time you make changes, additions, playlists, they should be reflected in the other account because you are both using aliases.