Setting Up OSX + HP LaserJet 4 Network

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by biovert, Feb 28, 2003.

1. biovert macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2003
    Hi. I haven't been able to find this info, so I will ask. I am trying to set up a network that allows me to use my Tower g3 with this (older) HP LaserJet 4M Plus. I tried to connect these machines directly, but that didn't work. Ideally, I could network these machines through a Netgear Port so that I can keep my USB ports occupied with a separate printer and my keyboard/mouse, and keep my DSL running. Has anyone attempted something like this? Is there a place where I can find instructions on doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:confused:
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Don't know...

I always make sure the HP LaserJets I use have a JetDirect ethernet cards and the postscript sticks.

You have postscript, the only thing you're lacking to make it easy is the ethernet port?

Problem is you'll probably find a Jetdirect card cost more than the printer is worth.

Something like a

J4100A HP Jetdirect 400n MIO internal card (10/100Base-TX) which is about $370 at CompUSA

Note: the cards are useful and can be used in another printer if you upgrade later.
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    At my company, we have a Laserjet 4MV on the network we use for proofing purposes. Around October of last year I setup my G4 on OS X to do some evaluation work and hopefully see how well it worked in the production environment. Everything worked fine, except for Heidelberg Imagesetter, which often locked up from X. Everything was run through Appletalk Ethernet. The trick was to take the PPD's for the Laserjet and copy them into the PPD folders in X (which is not the proper way to install print drivers, but worked for me).

So to answer your question, yes this is possible and yes I have done it. If u have questions feel free to ask... ;)