Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanman99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
I have tried many times, copying over all the settings from DHCP to the Static tab. It shows that it's connected in the Settings>Wifi window but it doesn't show that it's connected in the upper left corner. Therefore it does not load any webpages or show up when I do an network scan with angry IP scanner. It does connect when I use DHCP, but the IP isn't static (which is what I need).

Is there any way to make this work?

Thanks

I have tried many times, copying over all the settings from DHCP to the Static tab. It shows that it's connected in the Settings>Wifi window but it doesn't show that it's connected in the upper left corner. Therefore it does not load any webpages or show up when I do an network scan with angry IP scanner. It does connect when I use DHCP, but the IP isn't static (which is what I need).

Is there any way to make this work?

Thanks

Do you actually own and pay for a single static ip from your internet service provider? That's the only way you will actually get a static ip to work... you can't just plug-in a dhcp ip into the static ip field and expect it to work.

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Do you actually own and pay for a single static ip from your internet service provider? That's the only way you will actually get a static ip to work... you can't just plug-in a dhcp ip into the static ip field and expect it to work.

+1

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Do you own and control the router to which your iPod touch is connecting to the network? If so, then in all likelihood you already have only one "real" IP address, belonging to the router itself. All the devices behind the router, including the iPod touch, are using "internal" IP addresses that are not visible to the outside world.

Whenever one of these devices requests something from the Internet, the router acts as an intermediary. It interprets the requests and repeats them to the outside world, but it uses its own "real" IP address as the return address instead of the internal device's address. Then, when a response arrives, the router remembers which internal device had originated each connection, and forwards the responses accordingly.

If this accurately describes your set-up, then it is absolutely possible, with most routers, to manually set aside a certain range of "internal" IP addresses for static allocation. However, the static addresses would still be "internal" only - not visible beyond the confines of the router you've manually configured. As well, you must never allow any two internal devices to attempt to use the same IP address. It is never appropriate to use any of the IP addresses that have been reserved for dynamic allocation (via DHCP) as static addresses.

Out of curiosity: Why do you need this? I'm finding it difficult to think of circumstances in which it would be meaningful for an iPod touch to need a static IP address. Normally static IP addresses only come in handy for software that's acting as a server (so that other computers know how to reach it), and normally server software wouldn't run on an iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.