Setting up WDS with airport extreme and express on XP (sorry to say)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marknicholls, Jun 30, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Sorry for mentioning the word Windows but i have to

I run Elgato Eyehome to send wireless video to my mac. i also use airport to send wireless music but to do this i have needed both routers (extreme and express) and set up a WDS

2 of my friends want the same setup, they both have windows XP computers, both already have an apple express router to use itunes wirelessley

my problem is, they now both want wireless video, i assume it will need to be the same as my setup, they will need an extreme router to compliment the extress router as a WDS and i would rather them get a second apple router as there should be no compatiablilty problems with 2 apple routers

How do i setup a WDS with 2 apple routers on windows XP? and is there a video recieving device (such as elgato eyehome) that will run on XP connected by an apple extreme router

Many Thanks for any help in advance

2. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For setting up WDS:

Do you have the Airport Admin Utility? On OSX, you just go to the WDS page and click "Enable this basestation for WDS" on all your Expresses using one of them to act as the main basestation and the others as remotes. I'm assuming the utility works the same in Windows.

It's very straight forward on OSX and I think the utility works exactly the same in XP so you should be right. :)

4. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

Its so easy on OSX i am anticipating problems on XP! I was hoping someone could direct me to there i needed to go on XP....guess im on the wrong forum really :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I thought the program for Windows was the same as it is for Mac but maybe not. This is a pretty good guide from the horse's mouth.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Mark,

There seems to be some miscommunication here. What the others are trying to tell you is Apple provides a version of the Airport Admin Utility that runs on Windows. Just go to their site and download it.

It works really well - I've used it.

7. marknicholls thread starter macrumors 6502

I get that now

Thanks for you help guys - i should have known apple would have made it easy :)