Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fixed4L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2016
I've just bought an Airport Extreme and I have some questions about how to set it up the best way.

I live in a house with two routers, an extender and now the Airport Extreme. All connected with cables except the extender

Should I use the same name and password for every wireless network and having the Extreme work as a bridge or use it as a Base Station, since it's been bought for wireless internet in the basement.

At the moment the two routers have the same name and password, the extender with it's own name but same password as the routers and the extreme as a Base Station with separate name and password. All four devices on different channels. Is this all wrong to get the highest and best wireless speed out of the Extreme and all devices in general?

Cheers

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
At the moment the two routers have the same name and password, the extender with it's own name but same password as the routers and the extreme as a Base Station with separate name and password. All four devices on different channels. Is this all wrong to get the highest and best wireless speed out of the Extreme and all devices in general?

Provided that the Extreme is the newest/most capable router, I would personally use the AirPort as the main router for its simplicity and set all other devices to bridge mode. I would also reevaluate whether you need to be running four wireless APs (access points).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.