setting up wireless routers to the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by student_trap, Mar 14, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hi,

I know that similar things have been posted before but my situation is slightly different:

I bought a netgear DG834G router/firewall/adsl modem for my powerbook and need to set everything up so I can get online. Here’s the issue: basically my mac has only ever had access to the internet while I was in university halls, where it was through an ethernet cable and I had to do absolutely nothing to make it work (just plugged the cable in!).
    Now my isp tell me that I will have internet access tonight (so I can get plugging everything in etc), however it seems that in order to set up my DG834G, I will need be on the internet. What then should I expect to happen when I attemp to get connected (there are no instructions for macintosh)? Will it connect me automatically like it did when I was at university? Or am I about to run into problems? Also, what sort of wireless security should I look to enable, and how will I be able to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

If your router is wireless, just turn on airport after setting up and it should find the network. If you are planning to make the network private, you'll have to set the connection up manually through airport - entering the network name and password.

I believe wpa 2 is supposed to be the best security, you may wanna verify. Use the software control panel for your router to enable it, unless it's a standard setup for netgear? mac os is easy to set up, detailed instructions really aren't a must, you'll get it working.

:) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security