Setting up (Work) Exchange Email on MBP + Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bagpussuk, Jul 26, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi, trying to configure apple mail with my work exchange account.

I would like to take advantage of mail/reminders/calendar etc.

It works like a dream on ipad and iphone but i cannot get it to work on Mountain Lion.

I set all up and it seems to accept everything. But i get the following error in the mail program:

'There mayu be a problem with the mail server or network, verify the settings for account 'XXX' or try again. The server returned the error: Connections on host owa1.XXXXX on the defaults ports failed'.

Any help would be great :)

2. macrumors member

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 601

You are aware that ActiveSync settings (what you use on the iPhone and iPad) won't work for desktop clients, right? Have you confirmed with your IT that you're using the correct settings?

5. macrumors newbie

Exchange Email

I have the same problem, updated to mountain lion last night hoping i could eventually get exchange email on my mac air but no chance!!
    Works fine on iphone & ipad
    What is the story Apple????

6. macrumors 65816

nefan65

What version of Exchange are you running? If it's 2007/2010 it should work. iOS will support the older versions, so that's the reason the iPhone will connect.

7. macrumors newbie

Exchange support is totally borked in Mountain Lion. It tried to auto-configure the internal and external servers using info from the Exchange server, and more often than not everything ends up broken as Mail tries to access an internal-only server from the internet. The result is the error message in OP's post.

Sometimes you can make it work by editing /etc/hosts to trick the system into thinking the external server is the internal one. But there's definitely something very wrong.

8. macrumors 6502

bluespider

I'm using Outlook 2011 and have had NO issues under ML... in fact Office 2011 in general works great!

9. macrumors newbie

Yes, Outlook is probably fine. It's Exchange support for the built-in ML apps -- Mail, Calendar, etc. -- that's messed up.