Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

I've got a guy sitting beside me here who won't believe me without a second opinion.

He insists that if he saves all his music and video to an iPod and deletes it from his drive, that it will have degraded in quality when he transfers it back to his computer.:rolleyes:

I say it can be done a hundred times and never be affected.:D

someone please tell him I'm right so I can get on with my life.:p

regards

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Assuming the ipod holds exact copies of the music files stored on the computer (which I would image it does) rather than a reduced bit-rate version, then you could copy back and forth as many times as you want and it wouldn't change.

He's probably thinking in terms of analog media, where a copy of a copy is lower quality than the original.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You're right. It's a silly argument. Your friend doesn't understand very simple 0s and 1s. It's binary. As long as all the data is transferred, it doesn't matter where it's stored. The iPod is just another solid state hard drive.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
now he's saying my what I wrote is biasing peoples opinions.

I've just told him he is a twit.

thanks guys. I'll just leave him to sort out his own computer while I go talk to mother and sister. nice.:cool:

tekio

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
They'll be the same unless he's chosen the option to convert to 128kbps AAC when you sync.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Digital files do not degrade in quality.

Now, if he were to resample his tracks (which would be an enormous pain in the ass) then yes, but just copying, nope. Not possible.

Anything in digital files will be copied exactly hence one of the million reasons digital is the preferred medium.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Don't worry, one of my friends spent 2 whole days re-encoding ALL of his music to 320kbps manually. And then he freaked out where there was a fingerprint on his iPod's backing.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
They'll be the same unless he's chosen the option to convert to 128kbps AAC when you sync.

that's only when transferring back, right?

you can't convert like that when putting a track on an iPod can you?:eek:

tekio

macrumors regular
May 31, 2009
Never seen an option for tv or movies, added the pic.

Attachments

• ipod-shuffle-itunes-settings.jpg
    ipod-shuffle-itunes-settings.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 75

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Don't worry, one of my friends spent 2 whole days re-encoding ALL of his music to 320kbps manually. And then he freaked out where there was a fingerprint on his iPod's backing.

Let me guess; he probably took 128Kbps files and transcoded them to 320Kbps, thus making them sound worse! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.