Settting up a home network with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chelseasian, Apr 14, 2005.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

I am planning to set up a home networj with AE. Since the network will be a mix of wired and wireless, which router do you guys recommend? I think the max is 3 to 4 wired computer- actually 1 may suffice. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I am wrong, the connection from the cable modem plugs directly into the router right?

Thank you lovelies.

K. :cool:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say Airport Express, do you specifically want one on the network to use streaming iTunes, or for print-server duty? Since you need multiple wired ports, I would recommend something other than Apple.

If you *don't* need Airport Express stuff (streaming iTunes, print server) -- I would recommend looking at the Linksys WRT-54G or the Netgear WGR614. Both of them have WPA that works with Apple computers, and they have the advantage of having both wired and wireless ports. Also they're very inexpensive. I guess if you do need Aiport Express, you can save a small amount by buying a wired only router, but based on the low costs of these, you'd probably be better off buying one, and having the Airport Express join the wireless network.

And yes, the cable modem will plug into the router's WAN port (make sure you have a cable modem that has ethernet out!). If you have two wireless routers (i.e. the Netgear or Linksys and the AirEx, the second router can wirelessly join the network set up by the first router, and doesn't need to be plugged into anything except power (and the stereo or printer or why ever you have it).

Also, if you are thinking of getting the Airport Express only for the print server and not for the streaming music or portability, consider using the saved money to buy a printer with an ethernet port that can latch onto the other network.

All that FWIW, I have an Airport Extreme base station at home, and a Netgear at my parents' house.

3. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular

chelseasian

Is there a brand that you guys can recommend for a router?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wired? Basically the same...Linksys, Netgear, maybe D-Link or something. wired routers are usually not very troublesome.