Setup and Connection issues

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by 4JNA, Mar 13, 2006.

1. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

starting a new thread to help troubleshoot and setup f@h clients. mac and/or pc. connections, router/firewall settings, proxy settings, and the rest.

hopefully we can get the client connected, and mabey our notes will help someone else down the road.

not trying to replace what is already available on stanfords' page, just adding the 'team 3446' touch.

2. 4JNA thread starter macrumors 68000

4JNA

ok. great results. you can see and access the assignment servers. next, if you would, i need to know what the settings are in internet explorer (tools, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, what is showing? any boxes with check marks?

second, open a command window (start, run, type 'command', ok) and type 'tracert assign.stanford.edu' with out the quote marks of course. don't need/care about the first few ip's, just want to see that it resolves the name (dns working) and that it hops to VSPX26.Stanford.edu and shows trace complete at the end (nothing blocked).

last few questions for now are; which version of windows? when you install the windows gui version and attempt to fold, what is the log showing? could you post the log so we could see the results/errors? any messages showing on the gui or just doesn't work? is this a machine that is on all the time?

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Good new thread! Here some answers that I can give you now:
    I have Windoze 2000 Pro, and it's not on 24/7, only 10 hours a day.
    When opening the GUI for the first time today, and after setting my prefs, it started downloading the Gromacs core. That works, I could always download a core. After that, it is trying to download a WU, but it doesn't get a connection. I will post the log tomorrow and try to open a command window (that's new for me in Windows...).

I am at work now. The only box checked in IE is the "take the configuration of IE automatically over", losely translated from Dutch, it's the first checkbox.

Just did the tracert thing in the command app. It says "Time-out by assignment", and it tries it 30 times.

4. 4JNA thread starter macrumors 68000

4JNA

hi again, building a quick windows 2000 box so i have the same thing to work on. can't do all this from memory any more?! and a lot of commands changed from w2k to xp. so.... ok to the IE settings. no proxy, so that makes tracking down the block easier. the 'take over' 'auto config' box is checked by default and will have no impact. the time out on tracert makes me want to ask more questions. sorry. if you want to call it quits, let me know, otherwise i will keep working on this.

is your account an adminstrator account? are you allowed (buy the company and/or 'it guys')to install programs and make changes to the computer? are you on a domain or just a workgroup? anything else being blocked on your local computer (i.e. can you browse the internet without trouble?) are you running any 'firewall' software on the computer, or is the firewall in the 'server closet' with the 'it guys'?

anything you don't know how to find, let me know. i will have more commands for you in a few hours after the w2k box is done and running. sounds like a route/firewall issue so far. we can use some w2k commands to check what is being blocked, and then create a route around it. again, as long as the 'it guys' are not going to try and hurt you or something ?!?:rolleyes:

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

No, let's get this thing working! Working on a WU that is :D

Hereunder more answers on your questions. Didn't quote them:
    is your account an adminstrator account? - Don't know for sure, can do pretty much everything on it.
    are you allowed (buy the company and/or 'it guys')to install programs and make changes to the computer? - Yes
    are you on a domain or just a workgroup? - I think it's a domain, don't know for sure.
    anything else being blocked on your local computer (i.e. can you browse the internet without trouble?) - Nothing else is blocked, and can use internet without problems, even have iTunes radio on from time to time.
    are you running any 'firewall' software on the computer, or is the firewall in the 'server closet' with the 'it guys'? - Not on my computer, it's somewhere in the IT department. There are about 900 computers in the network, 2 companies that make use of the network. Every department has it's own domain.

Well, I have a freepass from them that it is allright to fold! I will try to install F@H on a computer with XP, maybe if that works... but don't think so. Owh, and thanks for taking time for me!

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

4JNA, how are you doing? Making any progress?

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I forgot to post my FAH log txt file, so here it is. Are you making any progress?

Attached Files: