Setup Assistant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hyperpasta, Feb 19, 2006.

1. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

This is a useless question, but I'm curious.

How do the various Setup Assistants work? I see one in the Utilities folder, and one in the CoreServices folder which doesn't work now that Tiger is already installed. What exactly is the difference between the two? When is each one used?

Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you actually have an app called "Setup Assistant" (and not "Bluetooth Setup Assistant," "Migration Assistant," etc.) in your Applications or Utilities folder? Weird. I just checked both of my Macs (both on 10.4.5) and neither one has such a thing.

I think the one in the CoreServices folder is what takes your basic data down the first time you boot OS X and helps you customize it, configure internet access, etc.

3. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

I'm running 10.4.5 as well. Its icon is the same as the Migration Assistant. When I run it, it prompts me for my admin password, logs out of my account, and offers to migrate my settings, but its interface is different from the Migration Assistant. I seem to remember a different one (CoreServices?) when I first ran Tiger.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Weird. I wonder why you have such a thing and I don't. My two computers are a Rev. A iBook G4 and a Rev. B iMac G5. Weird that I wouldn't have it and you would. The iMac came with Tiger, and the iBook was upgraded with a retail Tiger disc.

5. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Maybe try a Spotlight search for Setup Assistant. I dunno, might find something. Probably not, though.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A Spotlight search of my system found one utility whose complete name is Setup Assistant. It is a MacOS 9 utility. Its purpose is to setup your Internet connection in MacOS 9. Under MacOS X, there are setup assistants for certain Apple- and third-party-supplied apps and utilities. These have names like Airport Setup Assistant and AOL Connect Setup Assistant. MacOS Setup Assistant is a MacOS 9 utility. There is no MacOS X utility whose complete name is Setup Assistant.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto for me. ;)

8. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Weird.

EDIT: Just so you know, I highlighted the Migration assistant so you can see that they have the same icon.

Attached Files:

9. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Here's another pic... if I press Continue, it logs me out and takes me to a sort of stripped-down thing reminiscent of Tiger's installer (can't get a screenshot of that). It shows a transfer screen for copying files over form another computer, and when I say "Cancel" to that, my Mac shows the Log In screen.

EDIT: According to System Profiler, it was last modified on August 6th, 2004, which was before the Rev. A iMac G5 was announced. That means it's been on my Mac since the day I got it, and also means that Apple finalized the disc image for Rev. A iMac G5's on that date:).

Attached Files:

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK
    No, it doesn't mean that at all. All this means is that Migration Assistant was future-proofed. It doesn't have to be updated every time Apple releases a new computer or OS.