Setup for emergency calls while phone is on silent

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by han0522, Dec 24, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have an iPhone 3GS with the latest firmware installed.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to do the following:

I use my phone as an alarm clock. Everynight I place my phone in 'silent' mode with the switch on the left side of the phone. This works very well to keep from waking up everytime a new email comes in, etc, or the random call. This is also important because I occasionally work at night and sleep during the day, so keeping unimportant friend and family calls from waking me up is nice.

However, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to have the phone, even if it is in 'silent' mode, ring with the normal ring tone if a call comes from a specific number, say a google voice number that I set up. That way if some emergency comes up, someone can get a hold of me if they really need to.

I figure since the alarm clock apps will send sound through the 'external' speaker loud enough to wake me up even while in silent mode, there ought to be a software solution to the above. I've done some google and forum searching and have not found anything.

Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. damian, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

macrumors newbie

I'd love to be able to do this as well. I just requested Apple add this feature at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html If you want this feature too, I suggest you do the same.

Here's what I wrote to Apple (feel free to plagiarize):