Setup for emergency calls while phone is on silent

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by han0522, Dec 24, 2010.

1. han0522 macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2010
    Hello all,

I have an iPhone 3GS with the latest firmware installed.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to do the following:

I use my phone as an alarm clock. Everynight I place my phone in 'silent' mode with the switch on the left side of the phone. This works very well to keep from waking up everytime a new email comes in, etc, or the random call. This is also important because I occasionally work at night and sleep during the day, so keeping unimportant friend and family calls from waking me up is nice.

However, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to have the phone, even if it is in 'silent' mode, ring with the normal ring tone if a call comes from a specific number, say a google voice number that I set up. That way if some emergency comes up, someone can get a hold of me if they really need to.

I figure since the alarm clock apps will send sound through the 'external' speaker loud enough to wake me up even while in silent mode, there ought to be a software solution to the above. I've done some google and forum searching and have not found anything.

Anyone know of a solution?

2. damian, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

damian macrumors member

Sep 4, 2010
    I'd love to be able to do this as well. I just requested Apple add this feature at If you want this feature too, I suggest you do the same.

Here's what I wrote to Apple (feel free to plagiarize):