Setup local services

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by pfo69, Mar 8, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 8, 2010

I'm trying to set up some services locally. Also I'd like that some could use these services outside the local network

I have :
    A netgear dsl modem/router/firewall/dhcp -
    A netgear switch -
    A xserve -
    Some mac - 192.168.10.x

The idea is setup ichat/ical/opendir locally (not sure if these services required local mail server)

So I setup my xserve like this

dns name : xserv02.mydomain.home
    hostname : xserv02

Locally I have two options :
    setup a local dns server to resolve xserv02.mydomain.home
    setup the /etc/hosts on all mac

If I setup a local dns server, then xserv02 has to foward request to my ISP dns, and do recursive request for localnet/localdomain, then an all mac/gateway I have to set the dns to the xserv. right ?

If I setup /etc/hosts on all macs I don"t have to chnage the dns on the macs/gateway, but in this case does all the xserv services will work ?

Then for some services I'll use the port forwarding to route outside request to the xserv.
    As we don"t have yet a fixe IP adress I'll use

Should it work for ical/ichat ?
    do I have to setup something special ?

As I have an internet box with my own dns server, I could CNAME the to and set my box dns server to allow these services to work well if need

Is it OK to do this like this ?

The primary goal is to setup services locally, and maybe allow some services from outside (ichat/ical). If this solution isn't Ok I can imagine setup a VPN for outside services

Does ichat/ical server needs the mail to be setup ?

Is it possible to setup a mail server at least locally and then set it up to send/receive mail without a fixe IP ?

Thanks for your help and advises