Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfo69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to set up some services locally. Also I'd like that some could use these services outside the local network

I have :
A netgear dsl modem/router/firewall/dhcp - 192.168.10.1
A netgear switch - 192.168.10.239
A xserve - 192.168.10.110
Some mac - 192.168.10.x

The idea is setup ichat/ical/opendir locally (not sure if these services required local mail server)

So I setup my xserve like this

dns name : xserv02.mydomain.home
hostname : xserv02

Locally I have two options :
setup a local dns server to resolve xserv02.mydomain.home
setup the /etc/hosts on all mac

If I setup a local dns server, then xserv02 has to foward request to my ISP dns, and do recursive request for localnet/localdomain, then an all mac/gateway I have to set the dns to the xserv. right ?

If I setup /etc/hosts on all macs I don"t have to chnage the dns on the macs/gateway, but in this case does all the xserv services will work ?

Then for some services I'll use the port forwarding to route outside request to the xserv.
As we don"t have yet a fixe IP adress I'll use dyndns.org

Should it work for ical/ichat ?
do I have to setup something special ?

As I have an internet box with my own dns server, I could CNAME the xxxx.dyndns.org to xserv.mydomain.com and set my box dns server to allow these services to work well if need

Is it OK to do this like this ?

The primary goal is to setup services locally, and maybe allow some services from outside (ichat/ical). If this solution isn't Ok I can imagine setup a VPN for outside services

Does ichat/ical server needs the mail to be setup ?

Is it possible to setup a mail server at least locally and then set it up to send/receive mail without a fixe IP ?

Thanks for your help and advises

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.