setup plans..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i0Nic, Jun 17, 2006.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, I've got a macbook, apple bluetooth keyboard and MX 1000 mouse. I'm planning on getting a widescreen lcd monitor that I want to use as an external display. I have heard that when a keyboard and monitor are plugged into a macbook, when the macbook is closed it won't go into sleep. Will this still work with a BT/wireless desktop setup? Because I wouldn't want to leave the lid open when using it in desktop mode.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It will go to sleep but only if you tell it to.

What happpens is that you can set the MacBook to wake up when it senses you tapping the bluetooth keyboard or mouse. It basically turns the MacBook into a desktop. You sleep it by selecting "sleep" from the Apple menu and wake it up as you would a desktop.

When you operate the MacBook in "lid-closed" mode, it dedicates all of the available video memory to the external screen. When you use the external screen in conjunction with the internal screen so you have even more desktop space it will split it between the two. You may require the full VRAM for the bigger external screen but if you don't it can be beneficial to use both screens and have even more windows and stuff open. I for one use an old 15" CRT with my iBook as a separate extra screen and it's great to be able to have my web-browser open to full screen on one monitor (1024x768 is pretty tiny so full screen helps) and my email, IM and iTunes on the other.