Seven kids and Grampa

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by freeny, Jan 26, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/26/bus.crash/index.html

I can only imagine what this woman is going through:(
    Almost makes me sick trying to.

She is probably gonna need some good medication and sedation IMO.

Someone really needs to start up some kind of fund for her and all the funerals she needs to plan.

Apparently wasnt even their fault.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It was on the local news at noon. They sent someone all the way up there to stand out there and look silly, as usual. :rolleyes:

The driver hadn't been cited this time since he's out of commission at the moment, but he's been cited for speeding and, probably because of that, driving with a suspended licence. It doesn't sound as if he'd ever been part of a documented accident until now.

Too many times, school buses have been part of accidents in Floriduh because someone is trying to drive around them, being too busy to stop. He was obviously distracted, if he didn't see or try to stop.

I'm sure they'll fry him once he's out of the hospital. Of course, the way the law works here, had he been female, he'd get away with it.

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

If I were that driver I think I would ask them to do so. If I had been responsible for the deaths of 7 children I don't think I would be able to live with mysef...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You'd think so but a woman in the area killed her daughter, another girl, and caused brain damage to the teen boy, who was also in the back seat. She doesn't seem to have any remorse. She was in prison but they have let her out while she has an appeal. She blamed the accident on the cruise control and tried to implicate BMW.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What were seven kids doing in a car with an unlicensed 15 year old driver? One of them had been dropped off just before the crash. Obviously it wasn't the driver's fault but it seems the parents were a little bit irresponsible when it came to allowing that many kids to be stuffed in one car with someone who shouldn't have been driving.

It's tragic all around.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That was my first reaction. Obviously, just sitting there behind the school bus, she didn't contribute to the accident but if they had been waiting for an adult, they probably wouldn't have been there at all. Actually, she wasn't unlicenced by it was a permit and she needed to have an adult with her.

I watched some of the interviews of people in the town and, they all seemed very friendly, but not too smart. (Of course, what have I been saying about this state all along?) It's the kind of place where you might see someone underage driving, just because it helped out, and the local police knew all about it and made sure that she just followed the rules.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

She didn't cause the accident but one has to question whether she was paying attention or not. The bus driver's attention was probably on the children getting off the bus but the girl driving the car had a reasonably good chance of noticing the approaching truck if she had been paying attention. Given that there were 6 other kids in the car, one only three years old, it might have been hard to do, especially for a 15 year old.

I grew up in a rural area so I know how lax society and the police can be when it comes to enforcing laws. Perhaps they'll learn from this horrible accident.

I still can't help but wonder why the parents allowed her to drive with so many kids in the car. It just seems crazy to put that much trust in a 15 year old.