Several people and groups step up to pay 12yo's RIAA fine

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I started a new thread since the last one was getting a little heated, and I figure that alot of people were starting to avoid it. Please play nice in this one... :)

CNN is reporting that several people have offered to pay the girl's fine. And they aren't saying anything too nice about the RIAA going after a 12yo girl who lives in a housing project!!!

Thats right folks, the RIAA went after a kid who lives in a housing project. Talk about making them look bad!!!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The whole thing is very sad. That is a nice gesture that she has some kind benefactors. I wonder if they even checked on her age and financial status prior to the subpoena?

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

well, Stelliform says to be nice, so I have absolutely nothing to say whatsoever to the RIAA, I'm "speechless" but as for the girl I wonder if she'll wind up like the "StarWars Kid" another big star over the internet.

That's whats so fascinating about the internet, absolutely anyone can become famous and known internationally almost overnight. It's a new phonomenon that has just recently developed. I think that more and more people are brcome internet savvy as "worthless" computers that are just given away can still access the internet, and with many free internet dial-up services, many people can get on the internet for free and become an active member of the net-society that is developing.

Perhaps that is how world peace and unity can finally be achieved, through the universal freedom and equality offered by the internet. Forums like this are a prime example, we have active member from all over the world (at least that's my impression), all ages and all social circles who all become equal simply by our universal interest in the Apple computer company.

Okay, anyway, I'm going to shut-up now because although I probably already did the damage, it's not my intention to hijack this thread, I just got going off on a tangent fueled by my anger with the RIAA and I just could seem to stop.

4. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Yeah the be nice bit sure has hurt the amount of posting in this thread. :D

But you have some really good points stoid, along with some rambling. ;) The world is becoming a much smaller place.

Without the internet we certainly wouldn't be having this discussion.

But also without the internet do you think and of the major news organizations would have the balls to make a big deal out of the fact that a person in the first group being sued is a young girl with very little money? It also makes a good point, the music is so expensive that some people have to resort to stealing...

The bad press here is phenomenal! I know the RIAA can be considered justified in these suits, but it certainly doesn't help them sell albums to piss of the population.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm thinking that faking being sued by the RIAA & that I'm 12 (I better make it 10, since I'm male, so that the pity factor isn't diminished) will be easier than filming a uniquely self-embarrasing film...Don't you?

I guess I'll have to get to work on that, and watch the money start ROLLING in.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know how i feel about this one. its great that peoeple are paying for her becuase she cant come up with the money. the thing is, did she know what she was doing was illegal. i know i started downloading mp3's when i was young and before napster even existed. i was burning cd's when it was real expensive to have a burner and blank cd's. i never knew it was illegal, never came across my mind. maybe the riaa just hast done a good job of informing people that this is illegal. i mean what the girl did was wrong, but i think the RIAA should have cut their losses and realized who they were going after.

iJon

7. chadfromdallas macrumors member

There are commercials in the theatres about copying movies. Maybe the RIAA should do some tv spots. :D

8. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Awesome! Where do I sign up? I can't give much, but I'd love to help this girl. How ridiculous that they go after a little girl.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i laughed so hard when i saw that. i think i was the only one in the theater who laughed. i dont get it, saying dont download our movies to a bunch a people who just bought tickets to your movie. the mpaa and the riaa should buy ad spots on kazaa and bit torrent sites.

iJon

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Now there's an idea. It actually pretty well sums up what the RIAA's problem is in general--they're as likely if not more so to target or anger paying customers as they are to interfere with the willful abusers.

Personally, although I've been annoyed about the RIAA and copy protection hubub in general, seeing that they sued a poor 12 year old infuriated me. Scattershot suing a bunch of people to scare a lot more people is low enough, but when you start hitting the ones who aren't even the serious offenders, that's just wrong.

I'm hoping that this will cause the sort of backlash that the RIAA deserves. If having a few people steal your music instead of buying it is bad, I'd imagine that it'd be far worse of the rest of us got too fed up to buy or download it.

I might be nervous enough not to download any music off of peer-to-peer networks now, but I'm far too angry to ever buy anything from an orginaztion associated with the RIAA again.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've started using p2p in defiance, i hadn't before. let them sue, i've got good lawyers and i feel pretty strongly that their techniques constitute illegal search and seizure... poisoned fruits.

pnw

12. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Although I haven't reached the point of starting p2p (I can't afford jury duty, let alone a court battle.), I have reached the point of being fed up with the RIAA.

I stopped buying CD's years ago, and I do buy songs from Apple but I justify that by thinking I support apple and the method that the RIAA should have pursued years ago. (The iTunes Music store fits how I want to buy music.)

Now the RIAA really painted themselves into a corner here. They certainly couldn't rescind their suit after they are talking about a zero tolerance, and going forward means lots of bad press. Also from an outsider's point of view the other 260 might become harder to settle since some of the people with think of their suit as defending little children. (I know I would think about it hard if they sued me, and I probably would fight it.)

The RIAA is depending on the old frivolous lawsuit technique which also creates more bad press. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, (And we can debate that until we are blue in the face,) but who wants to fight a lawsuit that can be settled for $2000 with $10000+ in legal fees. It is simple economics. You would have to be on a mission to fight it. And now some people might be...

One thing the RIAA is doing is entertaining me by all of the hoopla. ;) And at the days end, for me that is all that matters. ;) :D :D :p

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think you just became my personal hero. ;) :)

14. jcraig macrumors newbie

Just one question...how does someone who lives in a housing project afford a computer?

15. chadfromdallas macrumors member

You can get a good computer for around $300, then a monitor for less or around $100. Not too expensive ;)

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats a dell though she is using.

iJon

17. chadfromdallas macrumors member

18. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Look I believe it is wrong what they did to attack a young girl; that has no way of paying for it. But you can't be angry at the RIAA for it because most probably they didn't even know that she was a 12 year old girl, that lived in a housing apartment and i am sure that the RIAA are really getting p***ed off with people and the stealing of music, just think how much money they loose everyday because of people stealing music!!
    So i say give the RIAA some slack!