Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I was just about to export a movie with quicktime, and I saw this:

Any insight as to why this happens? My external HD's name is Nano, but why are there 6 of them? I only have one!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 77

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
You seem to have an application (iPhoto? iTunes) pointing at your external drive. If the drive isn't mounted, it creates a folder with the same name as the volume. Then when you repeat this, it won't replace that folder, instead it will create another with the name folder 1, folder 2, etc...

Moral of the story, if you are going to use a network or external volume for your libraries, make sure its mounted/connected before you launch any of those apps that rely on it, or hold the option key when you launch them to make sure you are selecting a library that exists.

I do believe iPhoto now asks if the library folder doesn't exist, but can't confirm iTunes or other apps.

Finally, there are several ways to fix this, from writing an Applescript to more fancy "mount as needed" types of configurations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.