Severe Weather

Discussion in 'Community' started by buryyourbrideau, May 15, 2005.

1. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

just wondering if anyone else here on MR is into severe weather or tornadoes and whatnot. in my county in Michigan, i am a certified spotter and i am going to NIU (northern illinois) next year to get a degree in meteorology. hope to see some replies :D

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I think that it's really interesting stuff, but I don't think I'd want to go into it as a career.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I find it very interesting. Our local meteorologist likes to talk about unusual weather. Last evening he mentioned that 2004 recorded a record number 1817 tornadoes, beating the last record in 1998.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Cool stuff, but the weather here is boooooring. It rains a lot sometimes. That's about it. Oh and earthquakes, but that's not weather. Nothing much to spot or watch in my area.

Good luck with your degree though.

5. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Ever since I've seen Twister I was fascinated with tornadoes and such...

I remember building "tornado chaser" trucks out of legos... ahh so much fun.

I'm persuing Meterorology as a minor in college next year

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I love studying severe weather and whatnot. I even got 3rd in a national competition over weather. However, weathertill scares the crap out of me...:p

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I work at a commercial weather company. The meteorologists here live for the stuff. When a t-storm comes ripping through they go running for the windows like they had never seen rain before. They discuss models over lunch. So the canadian was pushing the storm north, yeah but the NGM and the european...

BTW, check out the most recent National Geographic, with King Tut. Big article on weather.

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

As a professional pilot, it is my life too, But will never understand it to the degree you will.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

As a photographer, sailor and private pilot, I too, am always keeping an eye on the weather, and yes, it does fascinate me.

Been through all kinds of stuff and the power of it sometimes amazes me.

Considered being a meterologist, but my math and chemistry suck.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you would think with people in the field so into the weather that they would be more accurate

but living in northern california, on the coast, is a very hard area to predict...you have currents from alaska up north, mexico down south, and the "pineapple" express storm fronts from the west ( www.weather.com , region 93940)

depending partly on what the powerful forces to the north or south are doing, predicting just what a storm will do, and where it will hit, is a ever changing phenomenon which makes our local weather people look like complete idiots

we were supposed to have a huge storm all thoughout the northern half of the state on the coast but what we got was a really strange flood zone in the northern half of the region and very warm weather just south of it (where i am) and all the warnings for stormy weather made people here go out in raincoats only to get hit with hot, late summer type of weather

i don't know about weather but i wonder if it's that hard to predict in other regions or if the coastal regions (hurricanes, warm/cold fronts, tsunamis) are the most unpredictable

11. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i wont be working with chem that much in college, i did research on all the classes i am going to have to take and most of them will be observatory classes and physics. my physics teacher said the physics classes are easy

i.e. calc based phys is like 3 equations :)

i cant wait

haha SENIORS '05, yea im a loser

im way too punk for prom
    :rolleyes:

12. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

what part of Cali are you in? i LOVE California weather, especially southern California, weather in the mid west is too deceiving, it could be sunny outside but actually be 38 degrees minus the wind chill factor OUCH!, experienced it in kansas.

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well in the hangar waiting to fly and this is the local radar.

Attached Files:

14. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

As a backpacker I am usually pretty in tune with the weather, especially when going above treeline. In fact, I should probably read up on it. Am contemplating getting a device with a barometer so I'll have an idea what is coming.

Side note: Highest wind speed ever recorded was 231 mph on Mt. Washington in The Whites. If you want to read about some ferocious weather, I'd google around.

Attached Files:

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

now that would do fine for me to get a kite in the air

every time i went to fly a kite as a kid, the air was still...but when i need to sweep or blow the patio/driveway, the wind kicks up (also kind of like boogey boarding and surfing where the waves are good and high when you are not at the beach)

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    So many cars in the lot at work have stickers that say My car climbed Mt Washington. I want to go some time.

17. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

So hot here right now. Its 104 degrees today, will be 110 this weekend. I'm dying, and its only may. august it will be 120.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, "Twister" was a good movie. While living in Nebraska, which is part of Tornado Alley, lived through a lot of Tornadoes. As a nurse spent time moving patients in to a safe area. A time of tension.

Severe weather is exactly what the Meteorologists live for each day. Thunder Storms and a Nor-Easter really gets them psyched. Yesterday North of Boston they had a thunderstorm with a coating of hail.

19. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Walk up if you can, it will be more satisfying. Washington isn't technical or anything and a mere 6288 feet. And if the weather gets dicey on top, you can always thumb a ride down. Same goes for Pike's out in CO.

My partner in alpine crime and I have been contemplating a late-September jaunt to The Presidentials but the ferocity of the weather has us a bit leery. I've run into snow and ice in CO in late-September and as long as you're not up real high (above 11,000 feet), the worst you can do is freeze your a-- off.