Sex and Macs, Macs and Sex

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i first came here on these boards, there were no females

then came cleo and macette

and then the famous ubergeek and true777

how many current users out there now who are women?

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Hmm wonder how may hits this thread would get if sex was replaced with gender. Then again Macs and gender would be in interesting thread in and of it self. :D

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Either one is appropriate gender or sex, they mean the same. It just happens to be the mind of the reader.

One very important member that you forgot Jef, is the ever present vinow. She was the first female that I met on the forum, that is posting wise.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The females in our mac community are very valuable, I think they have a lot to offer in a world of males.

I always pay special attention to posts by vniow, uber, cleo, and the other women here.

They tend to say something different and interesting.

The title of this thread is misleading (I was expecting another geek thread :eek: :D).

scem0

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

to me when your <18 your a girl not a woman .... so ubergeek for sure is not a woman

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

As I understand it, gender applies primarily to the style of a word, i.e., it describes a grammatical characteristic. Secondarily, gender describes a class of people in categorical statements. Thirdly, in a relatively newer usage, it is a synonym for sex when used to identify male vs. female. I think this usage caught on because people were afraid to say the word sex, given its other uses. I'm sure dictionaries differ among themselves on this issue.

So it is certainly correct to say that "he" is of male gender, and simply acceptable to say that he is of male gender, no matter who he is!

Female members you can add to your list: Arielle, Genie, Giaguara, Iconocat, judith, MacFan26, selloutvixen, and sillymacgirl.

8. bont macrumors member

9. bont macrumors member

Anybody know of any forums with 21,129 female members? :confused:

10. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

11. vniow macrumors G4

12. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

You could add me to the list as well, though I haven't posted here nearly as much as most others here :)

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

as you should know as a nurse, sex generally refers to the sex organs that a person has, in defining their male/female characteristics. Gender has come to mean the other characteristics of a person, not just what organs they have but how they act, dress, and self-perceive. it's not terribly useful to the conversation, as people will respond as they would either way, but just to clarify.

the reason the previous poster had brought it up, however, was that "sex" generally grabs people's attention, and the thread is simply titled "macs and sex..." and if it were "macs and gender..." it might have people less quick to see what he was talking about...

paul

14. Alte22a macrumors 6502

I'm trying to presaude my girlfriend to join the forums but she aint interested. :( Just pops round to use her mac on my WIFI. never mind..

How come I still aint got a picture thingy (sorry for being so technical). Guess I aint qualified as a full Mac head.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, the official name is "picture thingy". :) But some people also call them avatars. You'll get one when you reach 500 posts. At your current post rate, that's 18 months from now. Getting an avatar shouldn't be an incentive to submit pointless posts, but rather to visit often, read threads, and particpate in the discussions. It also helps new members identify those who have been longer-term presences in the MacRumors forums.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I don't really care since nooo one here talks about sexual related issues -- Expect talk about Gay/Homosexual topics which are getting frikken old.

If there was a more balanced forum base we could talk about things...

blah.

17. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I talked my girlfriend Tara into joining. Her username is "Tara" (real original).

She's going to start posting more often soon, she says.

Add her to the list!

18. Genie macrumors 6502a

Genie

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Very observant and accurate. The use of the word "gender" to describe someone's sex or sexual orientation is a relatively new and incorrect usage of the word.

The first two definitions you listed are the correct usage. Think of the term "engender." It has no connection to sex whatsoever, despite having "gender" as its root.

20. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well I didn't actually check this one out, but I imagine the Justin Timberlake forums are a good bet. :p

21. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Wow, we really have a masters in topics with non sense. But any way, girls are cool, specially when they think. I hearded once that "women are not bright technically speaking but nothing like a conversation with one at tea time" I guess that was Froid or Bell who said that.

Yes, to have a girl in between give some magic to the place. :cool:

22. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

Genie, you have over 600 posts and I have never seen you around ever till now... guess either i'm blind or you're very stealth. ;)

its good to have women around. women bring grace to anything they do usually and that makes being around them more fun than men. :)

23. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

jef's always been interested in the ladies on the board. When I first started posting, he was hoping to add me to the list of chloe and macette. :D I've always liked the name Kyle, now there are too many Kylies and such out there. It's a cool name but now it's becoming too cross-gendered. :eek:

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Answer (A). You must be blind! ;)

Thanks to her gallery, Genie is probably more famous than MacRumors!

25. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, there is this. On the other hand, we probably could do with an updated poll--that's a year and a half old.