Sex Site Settles with VeriSign

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sparky's, Apr 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Cute article, but the long term ramifications are interesting.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3343141

2. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

this is a very important day in the legal history of the internet. bravo to the court on this one.

paul

3. macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yeap, they just let someone steal this guys domain, and then wouldn't do anything to correct it. What a bunch of weasels.

4. macrumors P6

wdlove

I may disagree with the actual business use of Sex.com. Still glad that a legal principal was upheld.

5. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i remember a few years back, the good ol' boys over at godhatesfags.com let the domain expire for a few hours, and the group hatewatch hijacked it, redirecting it to 'godlovesfags.com'. It was purely for fun, they gave it back within a day or two, which I was upset about. but in hindsight, the legal basis here is more important than politics, i wonder how this will affect the reregistration process... they may have to give you a grace period or something... it would be nice if that got easier, especially if cybersquatting was illegal...

paul

6. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I don't think they should have given it back or had to give it back.

I miss the frontier days of the internet before the squatting. I think though that squatting should be allowed. The domain is yours if you buy it. Maybe there should be rules on abandonment. It should be treated like real estate.

Its funny really how people are willing to type in long and complex names to get someplace.

7. macrumors 65816

Dippo

I sure Paul would know, but I am pretty sure that they didn't "have" to give it back.