Sex tourism thriving in Bible Belt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 5, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reuters

irony? what irony?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think it is general rule of thumb that those most vocal about Religion, morality, homosexuality, ethics, racism - have either serious deficiencies, guilt or difficulty grappling with those things personally.

This can expand to describe larger groups of people rather accurately too.

disgusting story btw. Truly disgusting.

3. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

The most liberally slanted statement I've heard in a while. Makes me cringe. This crap just happens to be taking place in a MAJORITY conservative area. The idea that you just tried to bridge some very questionable acts to a group of people who as a whole more than likely have nothing to do with it is disgusting and wrong.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I would thankyou not to put words in my mouth. Although the context of the article perhaps implied some connection to some Conservatives via the mention of the "Bible Belt" , political ideology was never mentioned.

I certainly made no mention of it. Homophobes hold a variety of political beliefs, and many Liberals struggle with racism, just like their Independent and Conservative counterparts (to give a few examples.)

Perhaps my point is wrong, but please don't mischaracterize it.

I am debating whether your quote is ironic in this context.

5. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I totally agree

I chuckle to myself as the number continues to rise of Catholic priests confessing and being convicted of sex crimes involving children, because people like you think just what you typed, that there is no connection. Its terrible that these crimes are being committed against children so I don't mean to mock that, but I enjoy all the bad press that these "morally-righteous" ministers and priests are getting. Hopefully with a few more cases coming into the light or articles such as the one in this thread are written, people in general will begin to realize that being a republican god fearing born again christian doesn't make you a saint. Dubbah thought that becoming a born again would wash away his time in college snorting coke, having pre-marital sex, becoming an admitted alcoholic and dodging the draft would make everything better, well in my opinion even if he rescued a litter of puppies from a burning building he'd still be a hypocritical bum, which is what I feel alot of god-fearing religious types who molest children or continue to be racist are......hypocrites.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

7. Queso macrumors G4

To turn this around, it could be that because the Bible Belt is such a morally sound area that those deviants within it have to create this sort of travel industry to satisfy their needs, whereas in more liberal areas they don't have to look so far from home. Once the industry is established, the Internet does the rest.

Just a thought....

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Pedophiles?! Their need to prey upon young girls? I think not.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, like it or not there are paedophiles wherever you may live, even in the Bible Belt. Can't escape them just by moving. Not a nice thought, but then reality isn't like Disney.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm sorry but that doesn't make much logical sense. For example - why would these "deviants" travel so far if they could get what they are looking for nearby? Frequent flyer miles?

11. Queso macrumors G4

As in my earlier post there are deviants everywhere. Unfortunately there are those amongst us who get their kicks by having sex with young teens. My hypothesis is that because the communities within the Bible Belt are smaller and more watchful of deviant behaviour, those with extreme tendencies will travel outside of their own areas to realise their desires. A big city, where people are more anonymous, will act like a magnet in these cases. And once a "scene" is established, modern communications will bring in others from further afield. The more liberal areas of the Western World also tend to be large cities themselves, so the ability to act anonymously is already on the doorstep.

The article posted at the head of the thread mentions a man from Canada, but not where within Canada the man originates. My guess is a small town where everyone knows everyone else. So Mr Canadian Paedo goes on the Internet, looks up where he can go, and rather than the closest large city to his hometown, which will have paedophile circles, he finds the place with the most hits, in this case Atlanta.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My opinion is this- teach people that sex is ugly and dirty and they will react by having sex in ugly and dirty ways.

That is is a national, cultural problem, not confined to one area.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Do I dare ask the exact context in which you use this term?

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

What does politics or religion or anything else have to do with this. It's a business and econimics problem.

ATL is one of the busiest airports in the world (I believe currently the busiest in the US). Businesses are flocking to ATL where costs are lower than they are in many other parts of the country. Lots of travelers looking to go somewhere where they can engage in illegal activities without people knowing who they are, and being totally commonplace (who would suspect anything of the business traveller coming to ATL for the day vs. who would suspect the business traveller in Casper, WY in town for just a day). If you want to kill this, kill ATL.

Why does this happen in ATL rather than CHI, LA, NYC, etc? I don't know. I imagine it is related to the high poverty levels in the south (even compared to the poor in other cities) and the accompanying explosion in drug use and a generally undereducated populace (again even compared to the other major cities). Does religion play a role? I'm sure it does - city size and religious belief are inversely correlated. Could perverts in Mayberry get away with it? No. When you have a monster city nearby, it has to be easier there.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Of course it happens to a lesser (or maybe even greater) extent in Chicago, LA, New York, and any other large hub city on the planet. The author of the piece has specifically chosen to highlight Atlanta because it is percieved as a place of Church attending conservatives, so the contrast of what goes on in the city's dirty underbelly is all the more powerful. Very clever writing, and more effective as a result.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I just don't see why that makes this more powerful. Bad people are everywhere - no matter how religious a society is. Using that to make a point would be like pointing out the carnivores in India or vegitarians in Texas and calling the hosts failures at their own creed. Sometimes the innocense or naivete of the religious groups makes an area even more likely to play host to evil - who would think bad of anybody in Mayberry, NC.

17. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the author highlighted atlanta because that's where the activity is most prevalent. that it occurs in the bible belt is interesting, no matter how one tries to de-spin it.

18. Queso macrumors G4

You know this. I know this. You'd be surprised how many people don't.

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The above two of you have touched on why I can't understand why religion is such a big deal.

If the author chose ATL b/c of the religion - that seems silly since there are bad people everywhere. I'm sure people steal at the hajj...

If the author chose ATL b/c of the prevelance - religion has little to do with it unless we can control for the obscene traffic that Hartsfield experiences. I have a feeling that a lot of the more perverse stuff that can be done transiently happens near major airports and not in Slovakia.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What a load of bs. The bible belt has proven its amorality by its high divorce rates and large viewership of such shows as Housewives. As the article points out, most of these kids are runaways. Where are you going to find more kids that leave home? In liberal areas where kids are allowed to be themselves or conservative areas where kids are forced to abide by restrictive religious rules? My guess is the latter.

21. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

In all fairness if you are comparing population density, I imagine you would find that the distribution of pedofiles is about even. The fact that they are catching people in georgia isn't that big a deal. the number three money maker for organized crime is the trafficing of humans which includes sex, slavery, and human smuggling. the problem is bigger than just the bible belt.

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

23. Queso macrumors G4

I would say that the areas with greatest poverty would produce the most runaways and probably also the highest divorce rates. Nothing to do with the politics of the area.

BTW since when was watching Desperate Housewives such a moral sin? Did I miss the Papal edict about that one?

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No such place.