Sexism and my Food Science project (hows that for a specific title)

Discussion in 'Community' started by oldschool, Apr 7, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I handed in a Food Science group project today, and part of the project was standing around answering questions from the teacher's aide who will be marking the project.

At the end she says "well done, now i have to go back and see who in your group will get perfect and who will NOT get perfect" and when she said "not get perfect" she looked at me.

I did more work than anybody, but all my group members are girls, and she favours them. She gives them great comments on their poorly written essays, while she critiques the tiniest things in mine.

:mad:

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

sounds a dell lot like the profs at architecture history, planning, and construction science and construction structures where i studied.

girls got in media votes 1,5 points less (when the scale was 0-5, 0=failed).

no girl ever got a 5 in planning courses, or any construction science etc.

it's just life. you will not have to be in the school forever.

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Well the first thing you can do is talk to the TA and aks her why she said that ...
    Second thing would be to go talk to a professor or course head, or a department head about what you feel is happening i mean if you really did give a quality presentation and did do a bunch of work you can find someone to listen to you ...

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

some women can be just as sexist as some men are. its not a male or female thing. its more of a personality think. things like upbringing or life experiences make a person what they are.

5. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
  6. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Why are you complaining? You are lucky that she is not telling you to castrate yourself with a rusty spork.

Life ain't fair, deal with it. You should be glad that she even acknowledges that you exist.

You should be glad. Because of people like your TA, we have different physical fitness criteria for male and female firefighters, or the criteria has been lowered so that both male and female firefighters can pass them. Nevermind that a male firefighter can probably lift a 150lb person and carry them downstairs, while a female firefighter can only drag a 150lb person. This way, its fair. :eek:

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Most of my teachers are not sexist or they favor girls more than others, but some have stopped being so blatantly sexist after some of the girls complained. So, one way to stop it is to ask the girls to help you ask the person to stop being sexist.
    Then again, my school district has a policy against sexual discrimation of any sort, but even if there isnt one let the teacher know, let the administrators know. Tell your parents and ask them to complain. c'est la vie, but if you honestly had no reason to get a lower grade on anything, other than the fact that the person thinks you deserved a grade based on something you cannot change, you have a right to complain.

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you have issues. work on that..

9. macka macrumors regular

I would see it as a good thing, in a retarded way.
    She probably sees great potential in you and reckons that you could do really well, thus looking at the fine details, whereas she's given up hope on all the other boneheads. ;)

That happened to me once. I had practise questions to do, I did them and did not get full marks for any of them. So I studied harder and when exam time came around, I topped the grade.

It depends on how you want to look at it I suppose, don't let her get to ya in a negative sorta way. :)

10. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I had a really sexist teacher and she ended up with class of like 15 guys and 2 girls. She really hated all of us guys and always accused us of cheating and such, but since she couldn't prove anything we all get A's :)

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that you teacher was just kidding. If it was a group project, then everyone in the group should get the same grade.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

May I gripe about a teacher I did some volunteer work for? While I was installing software on her computer, I heard plenty of the goings-on in her class. She often pit the boys against the girls in classroom activities and said "Hooray! We won!" if the girls' side won. She made other comments about girls being superior to boys, and I could tell that it made the kids of both sexes uncomfortable.

13. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I don't think I have issues. I see that things are not fair, and I speak my mind.

Equal pay for equal work, best person for the job, and all of that.

If I misread your post, then I apologize.

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you were acting as if oldschool had done something very wrong. as if he should be punished for being male and doing nothing wrong.

he felt treated unfairly so that makes him the victim and then you go and act as if he is wrong. I know this doesn't involve me but I stand up for whats right.

fair is fair right is right. what sex someone is should never even be an issue with anything.

logic is your friend, use it.

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

"You are lucky that she is not telling you to castrate yourself with a rusty spork."

"You should be glad that she even acknowledges that you exist."

see... when you say things like that people tend to take it in a bad way. it makes you look like a person with no regard for your fellow human or human rights for that matter.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I find this sentence amusing in so many different ways...life is surreal

Anyway, Oldschool, I would recommend what kwyjibo advocated earlier...if you feel you did a quality of work that deserved better, ask quwstions all through the chain of command of the department...I am not sure I would recommend screaming prejudice, just your grade and your work on their merits...I must ask how low your grade was, as if it was still decent, in might not be a battle to fight this time..sometimes life just treats us unfairly, you just do what you can...good luck

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Ah... you didn't get through to the sarcastic undertone of the message itself. Thats why.

Lets see. Castration with a rusty spork, acknowledgement of existence, dragging 150lb person... I guess if you were reading it quick, you would miss the sarcastic undertone of the whole post. And I even included a smiley too.

18. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

Frohickey,

even if you were just playing around it was done in a very tasteless way. you can't go around talking to people like that joke or no joke.

everyone deserves respect until they give you a reason not to.

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I agree, and if you're being sarcastic its always good to put a few slilies after your post. Words can be easily misinterpreted on the internet. :)

20. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

i think frohickey sounded very sarcastic...

however seeing as sarcasm on the web doesn't seem to work all that well, i propose that a backwards italic style be implemented for all sarcastic phrases....but then people will stop using the style in order to be reverse sarcastic and it will all be messed up...

also thanks for all the replies...i'm going to wait for my mark then take it up with the department. Not only do i not deserve a lower mark than anyone else, the TA has no grounds on which to base a lower mark, as she doesn't know who did what in the group project so all marks should be equal.

21. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

i got teacher problem too :( . it all started one morring i was in the hall way and my english teacher walks by and she says"hi paul" there was a lot of other people too but she just said hi to me.oh ya she winked at me too :eek: . well any ways thats not the only time too. she wink at me a few times so far. one in class i said some thing i forgot what i said tho. but she said this "ooooooohhhhhh say that AgAIN i LIKE the WAY YOU SAy it". she had a big smile on her face two. i was like ookkkk i just smile at her and sat down. just a few days ago i try some thing cause my friend told me to flurt with to see if she would flurt back. its was at lunch she walk by and one of my friends(she doesn't know whats going on and i like her too) was sitting on the other side. so i looked right at the teacher and she looked back and came close to my face and walked by and she giggled. and my friend was like what thee :confused: :eek: it was the weirdest face i saw form her. and i knew her for like 2 years. it was funny. well anyway i want to know it the teacher like me? do you think so
    and i want to know it you think she want to have s*x with me?

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Teachers do sometimes get crushes on students (although the reverse is much more common). It's best for all concerned if it is avoided. However, once the student graduates from the school, then it's not such a problem. Two male teachers at my high school married former students of theirs.

23. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

My Math teacher is kinda hot. I'll shut up now.

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I had a hot student teacher once. 6th grade, Miss Ebert. The boys fawned over her, the girls were jealous. To hear her say rhombus was positively obscene. :)

25. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I disagree. Output (grade) should be a function of input (effort/quality of effort), and input can certainly be variable.

What my dad does, and he's a professor, is decide a group component and then allow group members to evaluate each other for the individual component. He then combines the two scores to get an overall score. That seems rather fair. Of course, he hears any concerns people might have about being sleighted in grading by their classmates.

übergeek--Every institution has non-discrimination policies because of federal law. The efficacy of those policies is the real question.