Sexist School Rules, your opinion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by elisha cuthbert, Nov 20, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Hello all, my school have recently started enrolling girls and the rules most of the boys are up in arms about are these
    [​IMG]
    The piercing rule mostly.

What is your opinion on this?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I can see your point I suppose, if there are rules why cant they be the same for both genders. I presume this is a private school, so I suppose they can specify whatever rules they choose.

3. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

What a joke. You should be able to wear want you want when you want as far as I'm concerned. Then again I went to public school:)

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Public or Private it doesn't matter. The rules are the rules. If you want to change them get a position on the advisory committee (or whatever's similar) and put your case in a mature fashion. Waving your arms about isn't going to accomplish anything.

It's just high school, suck it up for a few years and move on, high school means nothing when you leave anyway.

5. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

but even with the private school system, it is very discriminatory towards the Males of the school.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think all school dress codes are BS. But the jewelery part...I guess it's more normal for girls to have jewelery than guys. Not saying it's right, but whatever.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I second that. Once you leave you'll wonder why the hell you ever bothered to care about 99% of it.

8. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

I was on the advisory committee but as soon as i hit year 12 they kicked us out, and the school dont listen to most people anyway not even their own staff
    i agree with you, even with a uniform, but its not the schools body it is the individuals they do not own it so theoretically they should not be able to tell you what you have to do with it

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Public school in America - in Australia the public schools have a uniform (or set of guidelines ie. a white shirt, blue pants etc) to ensure that pupils aren't discriminated against.

I've got no problems with uniforms - mind you I went to a private school where full uniform in the winter was black leather shoes, grey pants, white shirt, tie, vest or jumper and the college blazer.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

I went to a private school where the winter uniform, for boys up to the age of 11, was:
    Black shoes
    Black shorts!!!
    White shirt
    tie
    school blazer

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Good lord—now is that how you spell jewelry in Australia or are they just idiots?

While I'm at it, the verb present takes an object, so that first sentence doesn't make any sense. The second sentence begins with a long adverbial clause so it should have a comma after the word "tidy."

Also "eg" needs to have a period after each letter since it is an initialism and not an acronym. It stand for exempli gratia. There is no logical reason to end that list with "etc." because the "e.g." indicates you are giving examples! It's redundant to say that it's not a complete list. If it were a complete list, the items wouldn't be examples to begin with.

The word Band-Aid is a registered trade mark and should be capitalized.

OK, it's 3:55 AM; that's enough ... even though there are more errors.

When I was in high school, I couldn't stand teachers who would demand perfection (marking you way down for grammar errors) when half of what they wrote on hand-outs was misspelled.

And I—like you—cannot stand the man! Show the man some of these grammatical errors and tell him from me that he should start acting in a "more appropriate manner."

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You are absolutely right. If you don't want to shower, and don't mind not being unhygienic or having body odour, you shouldn't be forced to follow a private school's guidelines of trying to make every student look presentable and in their image, even if it IS a private school you choose and pay money to attend at your own discretion.

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Perhaps but just FYI, because I know they don't often teach this in America, there are other places in the world that use different spelling for certain words. (but I see what you were getting at, not the most pristine hand-out I've ever seen) :p

As for the original topic, I don't see what the big deal is to tell you the truth. Annoying guidelines will be around for the rest of your life, my advice is to get used to it if there's nothing you can do about it. That said, I hated private school dress code and fought a futile battle with it. I wish I hadn't worried so much about those things back then.

14. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I went to a public school so they maybe weren't quite as strict with uniform as a private school, but they were still pretty vigilant about student appearance.

They had very similar rules/regulations as the ones your school does except that boys were allowed to have one piercing in each ear if they wanted to.

Regardless of that, when you enroll at a school (whether private or public), you agree to the rules and policies of that institution. If you don't like the rules, don't enroll there.

Very nicely said iBlue! I was thinking along similar lines. :D

15. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I'm our school, the boys get the leeway when it comes to uniform. They recently banned the girls from wearing colored stockings.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Jewellery is the proper English spelling and pronunciation of the word, Australians don't use American English and nor should they.

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

>>Boys hair no SHORTER than a number 3 cut????

Is that a missprint? Surley you mean "no longer than a number 3 cut".

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, it means they can't have their head shaved shorter than a #3 on the trimmers.

19. Queso macrumors G4

A laboured point, but a favourite one to emphasise ;)

20. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

If that's the case, then I wonder how they'd deal with someone on chemotherapy. Surely they wouldn't make an exception, would they? That would be discrimination against everyone who doesn't have cancer! :rolleyes:

I had to wear a uniform when I lived in Australia for a few months. Even though it wasn't actually that bad compared to a lot of schools, it sure made me appreciate being able to wear my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt back in Canada.

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I remember at school thinking it was highly unfair that girls were allowed to wear trousers, but boys weren't allowed to wear skirts.

I support equal rules for both sexes.

There's been a number of cases where gay or transexual teenage boys have applied for the right to wear skirts in school.

I'm sure Oz has some form of sex discrimination law that this seems to be breaking.

If a public (i.e. private (!)) school, then this might fall under company law.

If a state school, then this might fall under Oz federal law or government employment / workplace guidelines (not laws, just rules for government institutions).

Thinking about it, (if state school) that might be your best chance, as the teachers are government employees, and thus must work in a sexism free workplace.

Note, I know nothing about Oz legal systems.

Might be worth contacting the local gay/lesbian campaign groups, they are usually very up on fighting gender based discrimination in schools.

xoxo Tomato

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, no exceptions are made. If you've got cancer you get a wig. If you can't afford a wig, one is given to you by the school like when you go to a fancy restaurant without a tie.

It's all about the idea that in the public system they ensure that no family is discriminated against in terms of wealth as both wealthy and poor families send their kids to public schools. Uniforms are provided (either free or at a small cost, everything else like tuition and books etc is free) or the parents can choose to follow the general guidelines. Some schools are more lenient but they're all pretty much the same.

The private schools are very strict with their uniform rules.

There are no laws being broken.

Public and private schools set their own rules if you don't like them, you attend somewhere that has rules you like. If you can't attend somewhere else you suck it up and get on with it - high school is six, ultimately meaningless years. All the living starts after high school finishes.

23. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

They have got to be the funniest uniform rules I have EVER read. The author must have been having a joke. I agree with uniforms, if you don't like the uniform, move school, but those are just too funny. I'm still giggling at 'hair to be washed regularly'

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I've heard this ******** so many times. I have the same problem here with one private school for deaf children in the UK that thinks it has the right to ban the use of sign language in the school.

It doesn't seem to care that this breaks several disability discrimination laws and human rights laws. It's not about 'leave if you don't like it'. It's about respecting the basic human rights of children.

Schools brainwash you into thinking they can set any rule they like. Your language shows that. You know as well as I do that government laws override school rules.

Suppose a private school said (extreme example) that its rules said it could cut off a finger for each time a pupil fails to hand in work.

Would you say 'well, it's a private school, either accept it or leave' ?

No, of course you'd say that's illegal, that the school is exceeding its limits to set a rule like that.

That's a clear black and white example. The situation the OP described is a more marginal case. The debate is whether this does indeed breach the overriding system of law and guidelines that the school must operate under.

You can't just claim it doesn't because 'that's the way it's always been'.

Laws have changed since both you and me were at school.

The entire thrust of general western legal movement for the past 150+ years has been towards stripping away rules that forbid people from doing things they are perfectly capable of doing, simply because they are not the 'normal' gender. (voting, becoming priests, entering university, wearing skirts, same sex relationships, becoming nurses etc.)

25. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

This page took a looooooong time to load...

Anyway... Those are some strict rules there:eek: :eek: