SFO bound, maybe?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Scheduled some time off near the end of July for my birthday weekend. I had planned on going to Columbus or Raleigh for some gatherings being held in those two cities that weekend.

because of the cost of gas, I checked Independence Air to see about cheap flights. Well found out that they now fly to San Francisco. And fares right now are super cheap. So I am thinking of going.

This is where I would like some suggestions from you all. I am looking for cheap but nice places (and safe) to stay there. The last time I was therein 1996, stayed at the Hilton in the Financial District. Wouldn't mind that area again, but would entertain something close to or in the Castro or SOMO areas.

The last time I was there I did the Coit Tower thing, the Wharf, Lombard Street, you know the usual stuff. This time I would like to spend more time in Chinatown, the Castro area, the Haight area perhaps. I plan on doing a bit of photography on this trip. Looking for other suggestions. I will be without a car.

Any decent local (not tourist) places to eat that I should checkout?

Thanks for the help.

2. vniow macrumors G4

If you want omething that's safe, perhaps SOMA isn't the best to go. Castro is pretty good although its pricey. Most of the bad areas are around Market street, downtown and south of that (like Bayview and such). For restaurants I would definitely grab an SF Weekly while you're here, they have an entire list of some of the best places and you should absolutely go to the Aziza Moroccan/Middle Eastern/Mediterranean restaurant on Geary. I went there with my girlfriend at the time and it was fabulous. Even the way they do the lighting in there will make you want to come back again. There's also this nice little taquira in the Haight I like to go to hen I'm there. i can't remember what its called but I know its on the north side more near Stanyan, its hard to find at first because it has a small entrance on a red building but they make the best spinach taco bowls.

Check out craigslist for rentals and stuff and if you want to do some photography I would say check out the Lincoln Park and Presidio areas if you like more nature stuff, I like to go walking in the woods by the Mile Rock beach there and take in the bay. I would also check out some of the reserves in Marin county for photo stuffs, its quite clean and unpopulated in some places there, not to mention green.

Good luck on your trip!]

-Ani

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I'm probably stating the obvious here but do take photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's an awesome sight! I was in the Bank of America Building a few weeks ago and boy was that view nice. The Trans America building was awesome. Was really nice seeing the bay. Course that was 25 stories up, but getting a worms-eye view of the downtown area would be nice to.

You said you weren't going to have a car so for transportation, so you can always take BART, Muni, etc.

Hope you have a nice trip!

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

If anyone deserve a good vacation this summer, it has to be you. Where ever you go, hold a cold one high, and toast yourself!

Sleep late, get up late, do whatever the heck ya want! :cool:

5. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks so far all.

I know that the SOMA area can be rough. But for nightlife, I would like to be an easy cab ride to and from SOMA or Castro (wink, wink, knudge, knudge :) ).

My photography is varied, but did miss getting to the Pesidio the last time I was there. So that was on the list for this trip.

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks Stu. That is why I decided that my birthday weekend was a time to sit back and celebrate this year, not just my birthday - but not ending up in the looney bin.

Friends are suggesting even NYC, since there are a number of great photography exhibits going on at MOMA and other places there. But I remember how a large man like myself, enjoyed not sweaty like a pig back in late July of '96 in SF.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I've always been lucky enough to have an uncle in SF that I crashed with, so I won't be of much help, aside form being jealous and happy for you! :D

8. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I suggest going ethnic...

For dim sum I dig Ton Kiang - 5821 Geary Blvd. (at 22nd Ave.)
    There's a fusiony thai place in SoMa called Basil (1175 Folsom St.) that's pretty good.

9. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks for the tips and all so far all.

From the limited research that I have done so far, it seems that the Union Square area would be my best bet.

Went out to hotels.com, and was surprised at some of the very low rates for some of the smaller hotels. They started at around $65 a night. Any issues with these?

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant