sftp client...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmm, Jul 2, 2006.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I am looking for a good sftp client. I have cyber duck now, but am only downloading at 22kbs.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't think Cyberduck is to blame for a slow download, but it you want to try some other clients, check out Transmit and Fetch. Both solid s/ftp clients.

Also, you could just use Terminal. That's what I use for the occasional up- or download... :cool:

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Terminal is the best (s)ftp client. ;) Although the 22kbps downstream has nothing to do with your client.

4. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

why download and use something else when you already have Terminal built in?

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I use the terminal for quick-and-dirty, but if you want something powerful, Interarchy is a good option--very Mac-like interface, you can have it open a document in TextWrangler (or your editor of choice) for direct editing (when you save, it's automatically uploaded), lots of bonus features, not outrageously expensive. And of course if you're mirroring a local copy of a site, you can set up a double-clickable document that will execute the mirror operation for you with no user interaction.

I've heard good things about Transmit, too, but I personally prefer Interarchy. At work, where free trumps power, Fugu gets the job done with a GUI--nice app.

I agree with everybody else, though, that it's not likely your client is to blame for your slow speeds.

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

It has to be CyberDuck; it's going at exactly half the maximum upload speed is on my line. It was going at full speed when just connecting to an ftp, and not a secure one. I haven't tried anything else yet, but will when I need to upload again.