Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Bought this for my wife's new ipad 2 and tried to install Sunday. It was a total disaster. Ruined the darn thing and now I'm out $24.99. I've done them for iphones, ipods and droids before, but I suppose the size of the ipad was a factor. Never able to get all bubbles out and as you all know, the more you lift, the more dust gathers. Tried the tape method of dust removal, but it was mess.

I wish they'd at least give you two of them like for the phones. One to learn on and one that might actually go on cleanly.

Sorry, just had to vent......

Last edited:

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I can sympathize! I got the Splash Masque AG film for my iPad the other week and used all three of them before I got a decent install. (And I'm pretty good at installs on my iPhone.) And after all that, I couldn't stand the way the dang thing felt and ended up taking it off :p

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I understand as well. It makes me mad even when I screw up iPhone protectors because that's also money wasted. For my iPad I got the SGP Ultra Clear protector. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be easy and with a white iPad it was that much more difficult. My problem ended up not being so much the bubbles (because I used a ruler to flatten the protector as I laid it down) as it was the dust when I attempted to realign multiple times. I really didn't want to waste $20+ so, with a heck of a lot of patience and two sets of dust removal stickers, I had it looking good. The only problem is that after all that effort (around 45 minutes) I still didn't get the thing aligned the way I wanted :rolleyes:.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
My wife's is white as well, and that adds to the difficulty for sure. Congrats on your patience. I lost my cool at the point it started to look hopeless.:p

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
- shower on
- wait
- shower off
- let steam spread throughout the room
- dust all falls to the floor
- install quickly
- use tape method to remove extra dust - no more will get under it, because it's all fallen

I agree that the PS AG Was very easy to put on, and I've never put on a protector before.

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
you guys should get the Power Support Anti Glare. It was simple to put on.

I've used PS AG on my iPhone's so I do know they are easy to install, however I didn't want AG on my iPad hence my choice of the Ultra Clear (and it was cheaper than PS).

- shower on
- wait
- shower off
- let steam spread throughout the room
- dust all falls to the floor
- install quickly
- use tape method to remove extra dust - no more will get under it, because it's all fallen

I agree that the PS AG Was very easy to put on, and I've never put on a protector before.

I've never needed the shower method before so I figured I could do without it again but live and learn, it was a lot harder than I expected.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I just recently put on a cheap-a$$ film on my white iPad 2, and I'm quite proud to say that it was done perfectly.
My advice for putting on screen protectors for iPad (or any device in general) is to buy a pack of nice quality microfiber cloth. The dust cleaning cloth that comes with the films usually suck really hard.
Get under (very) bright light, and have a large surface to work on. Align the film on the screen to have an idea of the cutouts and size of the film.
First wipe the screen with the microfiber cloth to remove oil/smudges. Then with the help of the bright light's glare, identify dust and remove it with a corner of the cloth. Be extremely OCD about it until you are confident that there is no dust left on the screen.
Set the cloth and other junk far away from your work station, leaving only the device, the film and a roll of scotch tape. Start peeling the backing film away from you (so that the peeled side points towards you) and align the edge to the bottom edge of the screen, pointing towards you. Make sure you have an idea of how much room you should leave from when you first align the film. Set the bottom edge in place when you feel like it's perfectly aligned. Then with a little pressure of your fingers, set down the film while at the same time slowly peel away the rest of the backing film.
Don't worry if you see bubbles and dust under the film when you set it down completely. Remove the second backing film on top (if any). Then take a piece of scotch tape and stick it at the corner where you see dust/bubbles. Have another piece of tape ready and lift up the film from the corner a little bit with the first piece of tape. Slide the 2nd piece of tape under the film and remove the dust. Replace the film when done.
I generally don't recommend using any squeegee as they usually make things worse. Thats especially true when dealing with air bubbles. A small lift with scotch tape will usually eliminate any air bubbles.

Sorry about the wall of text - typed it with my iPad while at work :D

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
As fate would have it, I got a request from Amazon to rate my transaction with the SGP store. I said all was well with shipping, packing, etc. and that only problem was with the screen protector. I got an almost immediate response from SGP. Long story short - they will send another. Pretty good customer service I'd say.

PS - Almost all the reviews for that particular item on Amazon were negative. I'm going to learn to read before buying in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.