SGP Leather Case Vintage Edition - Comments

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by malbright, Jun 3, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Well, I was finally able to pick up this long-awaited case, and it is quite nice:

(http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/1366)

The leather looks beautiful and feels great. The case is very sturdy—hard, actually—and holds the iPad nicely; the fit is perfect. It wouldn't provide much shock absorbing protection if you were to drop the iPad, but it does protect the device from scratches and daily abuse.

Speaking of fit, the first time you put the iPad in it's quite snug, which is a good thing. I would imagine that over time it would be fairly easy to remove the iPad for docking as the corners loosen up ever so slightly.

It appears to me that this is a case that will last a long time.

The inside color of the soft lining looks terrific with the brown leather, very rich. There is some embossed writing on the inside of the case which you can see in the photo on their site. Personally, I would prefer no writing, but the good news is that it's pretty subtle so it's not distracting.

When you open the case, say, for reading, the cover folds back with no problem, though I would imagine that in time the leather hinge would develop some wrinkling and aging as leather is prone to do.

When the case is closed it feels firm and solid, and looks pretty high end and classy when you're carrying it around.

It fits nicely into the Waterfield Exo Sleeve—together making an impressive presentation.

I like it.

Sadly, bought it for the other half and she still prefers the Apple Case, so I plan on listing it on eBay.

Hope this helps!

2. macrumors member

That's a nice-looking case. I'd get this myself if they offered it in a darker brown or black color and had some way to prop it up for typing (like the Apple case does).

3. macrumors 68000

3goldens

i agree, I like it too, but the writing is offense to me, why would they assume people would want this stupid proverb or whatever the hell it is!

4. macrumors 6502

I had this one on pre-order but canceled. Thanks for the review, I might still get it as a back up.

5. macrumors 65816

Never noticed the writing before now . . . What does it say on the cover anyway? Some poem or something?

6. macrumors regular

tikidoc

I am not a fan of lighter leather either but I ordered one because it appears to be made of nubuck leather, which will darken quite a bit as it gets used. The oils from your hands will darken it.

7. macrumors 65816

Why is it I always end up with a case collection rather than just a case:rolleyes:

I really like the simplicity, looks, and low profile of this case. I also really like cases where the ipad clips in rather than has the bezel covered.

Might add this one too. thanks for the review.

8. macrumors newbie

ipad leather case with lock

i bought a case called the iPad Security Case last month and really like the function. I wanted to keep friends from using my iPad all the time. The combination lock does the trick. I also like the black leather. I ended up giving away the Apple case I originally purchased to a friend.

9. macrumors 68000

3goldens

never heard of this case, guess your friends don't have any manners!:)

10. macrumors regular

tikidoc

Just got my SGP Vintage today and I really like it. Good build quality, fits well, feels very sturdy. As I previously mentioned, I am not a huge fan of the light color but I anticipate it will darken. I think the leather is nubuck. Overall, I am pleased an anticipate this will be my primary case.

11. macrumors member

Do you have a WiFi or a WiFi+3G? My case came today and the fit at the corners with the WiFi+3G is VERY tight. Not sure if the dimensions are (as was reported pre-release) different between the two, but it seems like 1-2MM in height would have made the fit better. How did your fit work out?

12. thread starter macrumors member

I have a 3G, and the fit on mine was VERY VERY tight. It was a struggle to fit the iPad in. I tried it on a WiFi model, same thing. Perhaps not quite as bad, but just about.

On a separate note, what about the writing on the inside? I didn't really like it, but what really bothered me was that SGP put there name, etc. amongst the "poetic" writing and scrollwork and it just seemed to cheapen the experience. Fortunately the writing isn't obtrusive, but still, I really don't want to stare at SGP's name every time I open my iPad.

Otherwise, quite a nice case.

13. macrumors member

I got mine in today too!
    I got the 3g model... Pretty tight fit
    I am worried about bending the cover back and forth I wounder how durable the "hinge" is... Only time will tell

14. thread starter macrumors member

I found the hinge worrisome as well. I guess time will tell how it holds up, and that will be one of the tests of the true quality of this case. Also, the cover is very stiff, so when you fold it back, say, to read, it's not all that comfortable.

Looks nice when closed.

As mentioned, the writing and logo on the inside bugs me—it's not enough that the company put their name on the back ... they also had to include it on the inside flap. Pity; it looked so much nicer just plain. Finally, the overall hardness of the case makes it a bit uncomfortable. That has been my experience so far.

I thought this was going to be my favorite case, but these negatives for me pretty much outweighed the positive.

15. macrumors newbie

For those of you currently using this case, does the cover fold back behind all of the way easily enough? That's how I mostly use my Apple case.

Thanks.

Tom

16. macrumors member

The cover folds back flat with the back of the case. The issue you may have when trying to hold it in your right hand for reading is that the "latch" area on the edge of the cover may be in your way. It is not a huge issue, but I did have to get used to a new hand placement while reading in bed. That said, the "latch" does a great job of keeping the cover shut w/o having to resort to magnets.

This case looks great closed and does, admittedly, have a few flaws when open. My biggest gripe is that the hinge area also acts as a pivot point when you fold the cover behind the case. This makes it hard to keep everything lined up for one-hand use.

17. macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

It says the case is available for pre-order and it shipps on 6/24... how did you get one early?

18. macrumors member

This is like the 3rd wave of pre orders
    I order min on may 20th and just got it...
    Took a month, but I think it was worth it =)

19. macrumors 6502

Swampthing

I've been looking at this case for awhile. Absolutely love the old vintage look like the Old West or something.

But I've been looking for a closeup of the "verse" inside and wonder if someone has a picture they can post with readable text.

20. macrumors regular

doogle

questions

Mine has shipped! I like the look very much...it was a toss up between this vintage and the red leather version (there is a black one too for the person who preferred black).
    A couple of questions for the current owners:
    Can you imagine or have you used it folded and on a stand - as in to view from with a bluetooth keyboard?
    Can you easily plug it in for syncing etc. without taking it out of the sleeve?

As you can see I am trying to work out if you can leave the sleeve at all times basically.

thanks

21. macrumors member

Using an Apple 30-pin sync cable is not a problem with the case.

Stands are a mixed bag, but no different than with any other case. The SGP is not overly thick and does work OK with even something as cheap as an Office Depot card holder.

22. macrumors regular

doogle

thanks...I was not sure about this case or the Dodo case...something worried me about the bamboo and it slipping out, also it seems that the 'rest' fold in the spine does not flatten out. I need something that will sit in a stand if I am going to try and use the ipad for work (yep I am going to try and switch to my ipad for my day job).

23. macrumors 65816

A photo would be great, but here I had this reply in the iPad forum (I posted in the wrong forum by mistake)
    SGP TEXT

24. macrumors newbie

I've had my case for 2 weeks now and while I do love the case, it does have its problems.

The bottom 2 corners have both developed a crack which are getting larger and I would imagine will eventually cause the corners to become so loose that the iPad will fall out.

On the back, by the Audio Port, there is a crack that goes all the way through, held in place by only a thin piece of leather.

I was just going to order another because I like the case so much, but thought I would alert SGP to the problem and see what they have to say. They do offer a lifetime warranty.

They have a tendency to not respond to inquiries so we'll see what develops.

Kenny

25. macrumors newbie

Well, SGP responded and I have to send the case back to them and they will in turn send it to the manufacturer (which I thought was them). The manufacturer will then decide if the case is defective or not.

So, what, the manufacturer is in Korea, how long is all this going to take? And what if they decide that there is no manufacturing defect? Do they send the case back to me?

Sounds like a lot of trouble.