Shades of 9/11...! Madrid skyscraper may collapse

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This bears an uncomfortable resemblance to what happened to the World Trade Center. It was the fire, after all, that ultimately brought those two buildings down.

Link

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Looks to me like they'll need to tear the thing down in any case. At least no one was killed.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's going to be a dangerous demolition operation - they can't implode the building because it's unsafe to enter, but one badly placed wrecking ball will bring the whole thing down. It's like a 350 foot steel and concrete game of Jenga. :eek:

I just hope it holds long enough for them to get it down.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Happy that no lost their life. Pray that those injured will recover fully.

It would seem that they will end up tearing down the building. Wonder if there is any similarity in construction to the WTC. Since some of its floors also collapsed. Some short cuts in construction, the damage from the plane's impact, and burning fuel led to the demise of both WTC buildings.

Maybe they can still use some well place dynamite to bring it down safely. The problem would be the previous damage.

The site of the burning building and the and the aftermath of steam was certainly a scary site.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

From what I have read this building was built around the same time as WTC and was under remodeling when it caught fire so its probably from construction that caused it.

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think they said the cause of the fire might've been a short circuit.

In relation to the WTC, this building didn't have a bunch of jet fuel to superheat the fire in one concentrated place. Also, the construction of the actual floors might've been different in this building, because that was a major reason the WTC towers fell.

It's still amazing that nobody was killed and that the majority of the structure is still standing.

They'll have to wait until Wednesday, I think, for the structure to cool before they can enter it to determine how to demolish it. Either way, I'm sure we'll see some new creative technique to bring it down.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Demolishing it will be a challenge...there's no doubt about that. For one thing, they'll have to make sure that, if the building does become critically unstable and collapses during the destruction process, it doesn't fall on the wrecking machinery and crew!

8. mac-er macrumors 65816

I don't think this bears any resemblance to 9/11. Terrorists didn't purposefully kill 3000 people in this Madrid fire. Don't make light of what happened on 9/11.
    :mad:

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

lol nice way of putting it.
    I'm sure they'll be able to take it down without incident... Wow that building was charred.

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What the...?

Don't put words in my mouth. All I said was that it was the fire that ultimately caused the buildings to collapse. The terrorists caused the fire (and initial structural damage), and I never said otherwise. I certainly didn't "make light" of it.

Get a grip.

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, even though the scale of these 2 disasters was quite different, it must have been creepy to wake up Sunday in Madrid and see a building with a plume of smoke rising from it. I don't know who would have seen this fire and not thought about 9/11, but I don't think anybody here was trying to downplay the events of that day.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yikes its a good thing no one got hurt

something like this happened recently back at home over the xmas holidays :(

good thing no one was hurt their either

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that anyone is trying to make light of this disaster. The similarities are in the building being a high rise. Also the intense fire, which the heat also caused a partial collapse of some floors.