Shadow of the Colossus...Sony Computer

Discussion in 'Games' started by MIDI_EVIL, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Wow.

Just finished this game, and i needed to post about it. I couldn't find another thread, which genuinely surprised me!

This game is the most innovative, imaginative and visually impressive game i have played in years!

Brief outline:

You are sent on a quest in exchange for the life of a young girl, to slay 16 Colossi. These 16 giants are spread about a vast and beautiful landscape. With only your horse, a sword and a bow and arrow, you must find and defeat each Colossus, bringing you closer to the girl's consciousness.

Each of the 16 giants has a weak point, and you must discover it, and use your agility and quick thinking to destroy it. You can climb them, fire arrows, stab them and in some cases use the landscape to your advantage.

You travel alone, accompanied only by wild eagles and lizards, with only rolling hills, enormous valleys and crevices in your path.

This game has restored my faith in gaming, i cannot praise it enough, and i've probably not given it any justice.

If you appreciate original and innovative games, oozing with imagination, this is for you!

Here is a link to the official website,

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/SCUS-97472/Site/

Check out the screenshots for the sheer scale of the Colossi, compared to your character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else played the game, or were considering getting it?

Disscuss!

EDIT: This is from the makers of IKO, which i also bought, but couldn't put down Shadow of the Colossus.

Rich.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think it was called 'ICO' and it's a far better game. I found Shadow got a little repetative....

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

SOTC was too short for me. Innovative in that it's good fun gameplay, but when I couldn't figure out some of the puzzles, it pissed me off.

4. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

None of the giants were the same, each one had a unique way to exploit its weakness. Apart from the travelling to each Colossus, i didn't find it at all repetitive.

I can't wait to play 'ICO', again, it seems incredibly original.

Rich.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A little too short for me too. It had something going for it but I felt like I was overcharged. A little diversity and a bit more backstage would have made this something of a super hit.

to the OP
    you really should look further afield, this and Katamari are 2 of the most creative games in the mainstream. but there are more. Chibi Robot, Loco Roco, Windwaker, REZ, Viewtiful Joe, even Yoshis Island was heralded for its art direction. hell the indie gaming scene is bursting with such content. there are more... but half the fun is finding these gems yourself :)

6. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

If like me you enjoy a challenge, then the game was definately satisfying in that respect. I love challenging puzzles, and at times it was frustrating, but i kept on and on.

Maybe if it took longer to find each giant, it would have enhanced the experience.

Rich.

7. PharmD macrumors 6502

I'm on my second play through and love it. When you play it again, play Time Attack mode and unlock new weapons and items. Nothing is more satifying than killing a colossus in 1-2 stabs. :D

8. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Oh, what kind of new weapons + items?

*turns on PS2*

Rich.

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This is a game I've been meaning to pick up. I probably played the demo about 20 times though. Great from what I did play.

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

This game was very interesting. Traveling on the map was
    strangely very relaxing, if a bit boring. (It serves no other
    purpose than going from one boss fight to the other. No
    random encounters, no people, nada.) Maybe it's a good
    thing. The game wouldn't have felt the same with random
    monsters pooping out all over the place.

I had a little trouble controlling the horse.

Somehow this game remembered me a little of the Metroid
    franchise. Not in the gameplay but in the "ambiance of the
    game" and "think to beat the boss" aspects. Like Metroid,
    there is some sort of "solitude" mood throughout the game.
    The speech sequence felt a little bit like talking to the
    Luminoth. ^_^ I liked the fact they used some "unknown
    language". (or was it?) Plain English would have removed
    some of the mystique.

The fights again the colossi were clever, exciting and very
    rewarding.

I also liked how the music was changing depending on how
    much action was going on on the screen.

Kudos for relatively far draw distance.

Kudos for almost no loading times.

Kudos for it's support for widescreen format.

I can't wait to see how they can improve on this game for
    the next iteration.

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

This game is pretty short, but that doesn't mean it wasn't absolutely breathtaking for those few hours. I loved it. I think that the boss fight where you are riding on the horse and you have to jump off onto the flying colossus is one of my favorite boss fights in history. It was simply beautiful. I have replayed the game a few times and loved it every time.

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Colossi survical tip #29:

Shave your whole body…*or risk havink a pesky adventurer climb on you and stab you in the head, emptying you of your precious black-vaporous high-pressurized-life-goo.

Colossi survival tip #34:

Your weak point his not the best place to have a neat tattoo made. Even if you use invisible ink, it's a know fact that light reflecting off a magical sword can reveal invisible ink.

13. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

hahahahaha, true.

14. Lau Guest

From the title of the thread, I thought this was going to be about a massive Sony laptop or something. :D

Anyway, ignore me. :p

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Game is beautiful...I love it I love it....Its not really short.....If you havent explored the world then you are misssing out on the true nature of the game...

Get off you butt and take argo and go explore!

Bless

16. wilk0076 macrumors member

wilk0076

I love this game, too. It's peaceful when you are in between collossi and nervewracking when you're taking one on.

The puzzles sometimes were frustrating, but the sheer beauty of the level design, creatures, and world made up for it.

One of my favorite games of all time.

17. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i loved SotC too. it was a different kind of gaming experience that was a lot of fun. really easy though and pretty short.

18. triotary macrumors regular

I cant wait to play this game!!!1 I have wanted to play it ever since it came out!

19. triotary macrumors regular

Just watched the trailer again :D is the game play has the same looks as the trailer?

I feels like LOTR, but it is just you versus Sauron.

20. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I think I'm gettin that soon. It's only 20 bucks. I think the price changed two sundays ago from what I remember at work.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

SotC is one of the most gut renching stories ever made for games.....I felt sorry and a slight pain for doing what I did to the big monsters....The writers and music staff of ICO and this are great.

Bless

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I actually cried at the end of ICO... well, the "end" then I let the credits play and I jumped around my living room. Damn, ICO came out about 5 years ago already... :eek:

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I felt a dry lump when I was at the end of ICO but everytime I killed one of those monsters.....except the last one.....the music that played made me feel real bad about it....watching the character become less of what he was everytime....and to note that he might never see that chick again...the ending was top.

Bless

24. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

I absolutely loved Shadow.

There were a couple things like the controls and the framerate that could have been worked out better, but it's just one of those few games were you're willing to forgive or simply not care because the experience is something else.

Everyone should definitely play this game.

25. benpatient macrumors 68000

I will say that it is the best looking PS2 game on my plasma.

better than gt4 eve, for what it is...i hope the PS3 will run it and make it look even better with high framerates and resolution...

the story was sparse, yes, and if you rush right through it, you can beat the game pretty quickly, but there are things I bet you guys complaining didn't even know about. Ever find a white lizzard? figure out what to do when you did?

there are other things....