Shadowbane is now free

Discussion in 'Games' started by altair, Mar 17, 2006.

1. altair macrumors regular

Dunno if anyone has heard of Shadowbane, but its a MMO that has been out a few years. It is regarded as by far the best PVP MMO on the market, and while the playerbase has been slipping, and it doesn't have amazing graphics, it is now free!

I would highly recommend the game if you like the idea of 100% accountability within a MMO. If someone pisses you off, go burn down his player-run, player-created city.

And its free!

Shadowbane

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Shadowbane... one of the many MMORPGs I found incredibly boring (yet addictive), and I'm extremely glad I no longer play.

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

....good MMORPG and shadowbane do not mix. it is easily one of the worst MMO's ive ever played. I cant believe i signed a 3 month.

1st, everytime a massive raid is about to take place, server go down for the night
    2nd, 1 klan took over all the servers way back witch made goin around purely retarded cause u would just die

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

No it's not!

Following your link took me to a '15 day free trial'.

Thanks for wasting several whole minutes of my time with your misleading description.

I also note credit card details are required for the trial.

I should be thankful really that I won't have my time wasted by another addictive MMORPG.

..RedTomato..

5. altair thread starter macrumors regular

Actually you sign up for it, and it looks like you need credit card, but you dont. Its free, ie, no billing, ie, my 2 subscriptions aren't costing anything.

6. altair thread starter macrumors regular

When was the last time you played? Hah, been a TON of changes, completely new game.

Server's don't crash, been in a ton of 100+ player fights recently and there were definitely no server crashes.

There hasn't been a guild/nation that dominates a server completely in like 2 years.

If you are tired of mining rocks and skinning rabits in WoW, and would rather blow peoples cities up and kill them, then this is the game for you. If you like questing, and crafting items, than this is definitely not the game for you.

It is free though and does not require a credit card to open an account.

Can go here and click on "Click Here" under "sign up".

7. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Just looking at the screenshots, it looks like it has pretty cool graphics. But i cant be bothered spending alot of my time on a game at the moment.

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Jumping to assumptions, I love it :D

I dont play WoW. Played it for 2 months and didnt like it. I play FF11 and MxO :cool:

9. encephalon macrumors member

Downloaded the game and got my free account working. Fun so far. Seems like lots of other new people too. I got my first pvp kill! :D :cool: :D

10. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

shadowbane sucks this guy works for the company.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it was truely free.. there should be some fanfare on the website. There isn't. There's only the 15 day free trial. Which is not fully free.

12. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Question. For those who did sign up, was it free or a free trial?

13. encephalon macrumors member

14. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try it out tonight.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Mm yes you are right, it does seem free. Thanks for letting us know.

it was quite tricky to work out how to download and install and log in - I kept expecting to hit a brick wall.

Just created my first character (flying eagle thing) and while the graphics are much better than Runescape (!) the amount of junk and icons on screen is quite phenomenal.

Not sure if I have graphics set right tho, it seems to stutter and be jerky on my machine (G4 powerbook 15'', 1.5Ghz, 1.25 GB ram, 8mb/s ADSL)

Tips on getting a smooth framerate would be welcome.

xoxo RedTomato