Shake for OS X

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jul 22, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Today Apple released Shake for OS X:

Shake 2.5 will be available for Mac OS X for a suggested retail price of $4,950 (US) with annual maintenance of $1,199 (US), and for Linux, IRIX and Windows for a suggested retail price of $9,900 (US) with annual maintenance of $1,485 (US). Existing Shake customers will be given the option to double the number of their existing licenses at no additional cost by migrating to Mac OS X.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2002

One step closer to Pixar being dependent on Apple?
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 23, 2002
    HAHAHAHHAHAAH DAMN APPLE!! ! wont run on my ibook 700 :-/
    ohh well, HAHAHAHAHAHA to all of you who bought the 667 thinking thats all that you would need :p and what happens to the new iMacs who dont have a 1280x1024 resolution or emacs? or the 800mhz 15" iMac???
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2002
    Suggested retail prices for Linux, Irix, etc are TWICE what you pay for the OS X version...

"Shake 2.5 will be available for Mac OS X for a suggested retail price of $4,950 (US) with annual maintenance of $1,199 (US), and for Linux, IRIX and Windows for a suggested retail price of $9,900 (US) with annual maintenance of $1,485 (US). Existing Shake customers will be given the option to double the number of their existing licenses at no additional cost by migrating to Mac OS X."

Wow, Apple is really gonna catch some **** for this, even though the opposite has been industry standard practice for at least the last five years.
  5. macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
  6. macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    This is definitely PRO stuff...

Anyone catch the Mouse requirement under the Macintosh Requirements list. It's the last item.

"Three-button mouse"

Hmmm... will Apple make a new Pro mouse with at least three buttons?

As far as I know, this is the only/first software, from Apple, that has that listed as a Requirement. I might be wrong, but like I said, this is based on what I know.

7. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    wow, talk about sticking it to everyone but the MAc users! And talk about incentive to switch. Half price and twice the liscences. This is great. Companies who use Shake are gonna come over or fork over. I would think it rude except Office X cost twice as much as Office XP (though Office X is a much nicer program:D ) The money is not so out of the ordinary. This is PRO ish, render farm stuff.

As to anyone who thought that it would run on iBook or 667 Ti, you were fooling yourself, this is top of the line, key in on the clusters.;)
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
  9. macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2001
    seattle, wa
    multi-button mouse

Quark mentioned this as well, but that is pretty hot. You know this will come out blazing on the new Powermacs.

Go Apple.
  10. sjs
    macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    Intense new hardware coming

With software like this, I hope that is an indicator of good stuff in the hardware pipeline...couldn't Shake benefit from a G5 more than most programs would? Certainly benefits from altivec.

A nice convergence:
    Heavy duty software like Shake
    Faster chips
    2 CD/DVDs
    4 gigs memory

It all adds up!
  11. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    ouch, that's a tough pill to swallow, looks like I won't be buying that any time soon. Its more than a new machine! Not to mention the friggin price of maintenance.

But with the non-mac platform price, you're almost better off buying a mac and Shake - it'd be cheaper.:D
  12. macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Bashing Windows!

Apple is bashing Windows-Shake Users especially! They want them to switch, and here is the reason:

"*Shake 2.5 for Windows is available to existing Shake 2.46 Windows customers only. "

Older versions are supported only if the users are NOT running Windows!:D
  13. macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2002
    this are normal prices for business software, in all fields
  14. macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I like the new pricing plan. Apple seems to be taking a bit of revenge against Windows for all the suffering we've had at the hands of M$.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    Apple cracks me up ! :D :D LOL !

ehm...I think it is twice the licenses because of half the is a math thing
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Some really dense Mac users out there

Every product Apple sells is not for EVERY SINGLE MAC USER.

People who need to run Shake are not using iMacs, or eMacs, or iBooks. They will be getting the new G4 which has apparently a much better mobo than before with slightly updated G4 chips.

Shake 2.5 is coming out along with Mac OS X 10.2 (minimum system requirement) which is also bout when the new G4 should arrive.

Gee what a COINCIDENCE!

And if you think this software costs too much, you are obviously not in the targeted market. People who work on Hollywood movies are getting a sweet deal (if they buy a new G4/DDR Mac to go with it).

Anyone else gets the SAME PRICE AS BEFORE.

Gee whiz you people really are all nuts. Apple is recreating the high end non-SGI graphics dominance it once had in the new dgitial video/moviemaking field. If this helps the bottom line GOOD. Maybe the stock price will go back up to more sane levels now.
  17. macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2002
    New Zealand
  18. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2002

I like the pricing as well. Heh heh. Anyway, Shake is not for the "Home Studio" market. This is extremely high-end and is actually not that much money, when you price a SGI Inferno or Flame system out.

I'm thinking G4 Dual, Cinewave, FCP, Shake, Maya, FCP FilmTools and DVD Studio Pro and massive amounts of FibreChannel storage. Man that would be SWEEEEET! Anyone want to donate to my cause...heh heh.

19. macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2002
    some God forsaken place
  20. macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2002
    Hong Kong
    imho, i think this is a very stupid move on apples part...

many companies really want to use shake... but they cant afford to waste time with apples processors -- i mean, if you cut through all the crap, apple jus really needs to get ahead on their cpu speeds and clean up their act...

though we lower end users can say all we want about how much macs are better in other areas... but my 1800 xp amd beats the crap outta my 1ghz mac when i really need to get work done quickly (ie photoshop and blener rendering)... (blender is a 3d znimation program..)...

when it comes down to it, i think that apple is just tyring to get ppl to mac -- but many studios and stuff would prolly rather spend more jus to get the job done faster.. then slower on a cheaper mac...

i think the best way for apple to get more pros is by boosting hardware... i mean, for gods sake.. their still using 20th century technology! apples software is great, but they really need to catch up in other ways.
  21. macrumors regular

May 12, 2002
    Kennebunk, Maine, USA
    Office for Mac OS X = 439$

Office XP Pro = 495$

Office XP standard = 409$

Just to get your facts straight :] Yes Mac office is 10x better than windows version. On the matter of Shake, never heard of it, won't use it, couldn't care less. Having said that, the higher Windows, Linux platform price just leaves the door open for a competitor to Shake to arise :p

My 2 bits ...
  22. macrumors 6502

May 2, 2002
    its supposed to be used on these (at least!)

And to ::ahem:: revise that list :D :

what I'm thinking:

G5 Dual, Cinewave, FCP, Shake, Maya, FCP, Cinema Tools and DVD Studio Pro and massive amounts of Xserve RAIDS :D
  23. macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    He he... I bet we don't see any more Photoshop benchmarks at MacWorlds... they'll all be SHAKEmarks now :) I bet it is optimised to high hell for the G4! :D

Apple is going to get itself in a lot of trouble with MS... I bet Office won't exist on the Mac in 2 years... And IE will be gone. Perhaps that's why Apple is working on its own browser? I bet they're souping up Apple Works too...
  24. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Well, don't be too sure about that... What was the retail price of Shake before the Apple buyout? Apple lowered the price for the Mac version... but kept the Linux/Windows versions the same price.

25. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2002

Of course I meant G5s :p

For the post about blender....I doubt it is optimized for G4 use. And I seriously doubt your AMD "beats the pants" of the dual Ghz. It is faster, but probably not by much. I am talking seconds. And as far as you being more productive on your AMD, that is probably because you are used to the Windows way. Since I am really used to Macs, using Photoshop on a PC slows me down considerably.

20th century technology :confused:

For christ sake the SGIs still run at 600Mhz (and cost >$5000). About the only thing Apple needs to really do is increase memory bandwidth and the FSB, and then their systems will rule. Everyone in the world already knows the G4 does more clock for clock than the AMD, Intel offerings.