Shankar Virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bowens, Aug 11, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

The other day I was telling my sister about my mac and how it doesn't get viruses. So today she sent me this email from her school district (she is a teacher in South Florida).

"Shankar Virus Info
    The Shankar virus is going around the District again. This is a Microsoft Word Normal Template virus that primarily affects Macs. If you open a document that has this virus, your Normal Template in Word will be affected and every new document you create will have the virus. All of the info regarding this virus and instructions for locking the Normal Template in Word has been moved to the TLC Conference/Virus Central Conference/Virex Issues Folder."

Has anyone else heard of this?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

This isn't really a Mac virus, just another Office macro virus that's going around. It's probably addressed in the newest Office update that's available in auto-update or from microsoft. It only affects Office 2004.

3. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

yes. cnn article yesterday. macrumors article yesterday.
    ironic that it is on a microsoft program.

support mac programs like NeoOffice instead of Microsoft.

4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

michaeldmartin

Ms word is more apple-like than NeoOffice (at least it's not java!)..

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

NeoOffice isn't an Apple program. It's a Mac program yes but it isn't an Apple program. Pages is an Apple program, as is the old AppleWorks.

6. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Oh, I don't use MS Office. I use NeoOffice. I have used OO in the past. I don't see any need in buying software when free software will do the same thing.

By the way, where is the macrumors article? I was on the site most of the day yesterday and didn't see anything about it.

7. Skeeball236 macrumors regular