Shaolin Soccer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

heard of it a while back... it's taking some time to get released in the states.... looks entertaining... :)

arn

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

it's a few years old now actually, I downloaded it awhile back, not a us version of course, and it is quite funny, I look forward to seeing it here in the states, though it won't be dubbed will it?

5. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I have it on DVD. It's a funny movie. All my other friends laughed their butts off when I showed it to them

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It is increadibly stupid. But pretty funny. Think of it as a Asian
    version of 'Dude where's my car', but half as funny. :)

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, its already a DVD in asia, eh?....that's too bad. But I'm still looking forward to seeing it in August.

But medea has a good question, not that it won't matter all that much, is it dubbed?

D

8. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I have the Japanese DVD (which actually has the same region code as europe :) ) And it is original language with english subtitles.

This movie was the most successful Hong-Kong movie of 2001. Think of it as... hmm...

Take classic Kung-Fu action, combined with hilarious "Matrix"-Style effects and animation, and all that on a soccer field.
    The humour is sometimes a little like "Naked Gun" and such, but has a very own flavour. I love that movie, and hope it will be shown in USA and Europe unedited. But... In Germany they decided to change the title to Shaolin Kickers!!! Blech! :mad:

All in all, I love this movie, if you want crazy action and hilarious fun, watch it, I can really recommend it!

9. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

The version I have is subtitled. I got it from eBay. Not a bad price, too....just $15....and it doesn't look like a bootleg at all.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It has been around in Asia for quite a while now.

North American Release Date: April 11, 2003 (wide)

Hong Kong Release Date: August, 2001

So it has been out for a long time.

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I saw it a few months ago on VCD. Its really, really dumb, but also pretty funny. I can't believe they are really going to release it here, as i really don't see it being that popular here, but who knows. The best part of the movie is that they were intent on doing some special effects, but obviously didn't have the budget for any real ones. They all kind of look like they were done by someone with quite a bit of skill but using prosumer quality products.

12. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I haven't seen it, but almost everyone who did (including my parents) loved it. The star of the film (Stephen Chow) is one of Hong Kong's funniest comedians, so I would think the movie would be good.

If you just like to watch a good movie and are not too concerned about language issues (i.e. dubbing vs. subtitles), then you can easily pick this video up at your local Chinatown.