Shapeshifter killed stuff

Discussion in 'macOS' started by comictimes, Aug 4, 2006.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

So I have a whole mess of problems. Earlier today I downloaded and installed Unsanity's most recent beta for the Universal Binary of Shapeshifter, and it worked perfectly. I then installed Amora (David Lanham's theme), and it worked perfectly, then I used Candybar to replace my icons with those he had on his site. Pretty standard stuff.

however since then I can't open chat windows in adium without adium crashing (athough this could be an adium issue, since a new beta for that came out today also... but the old beta was fine for me), I can't get onto ichat at all (it gives me an error message when I try), and in System prefs when I try to go the Shapeshifter to disable it the window just hangs on "loading Shapeshifter" and won't do anything. And it's the same with anything else in system prefs.

Also when I tried opening disk utility to repair permissions (just in case) the application opened (according to the dock), but no window came up, so I couldn't repair permissions or anything....

In case it matters, I'm running the macbook in my sig with OSX 10.4.7

Thanks in advance!

edit: well I repaired the permissions by booting up off the install disk, but to no avail. All of the old issues are still there. However I did find that I can get into certain parts of system prefs... like appearance, dashboard and expose, startup disk, and a few others.

edit 2: I doubt anyone's reading this thread anymore, and judging by the lack of responses, ppl are about as miffed as me. In any case, however, the person in this thread seems to be having the same problem as me with adium, however, my ichat issue appears to be different, and I somehow doubt the adium problem is from the same cause as the system preferences not working...
    In any case, in case it helps I took a screenshot of the error message I get whenever I try to open ichat

Attached Files:

2. comictimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Bump... please someone help?
    I really don't want to deal with reinstalling the operating system, but if necessary I guess that's what I'll do....

3. Sequence macrumors member

1. Run again the installer of ShapeShifter and select "Uninstall" instead of "Install", try again to see if your problems are fixed. If the installer doesn't start, don't worry, just go to step 2.
    2. Open spotlight, search for the term "shapeshifter", delete every suspicious files that seems to be related to this app... .plist files, in particular. Do the same with terms "APE" and "Unsanity"
    3. Delete the System Pref. Shapeshifter Panel (CTRL-Click) on the item and "Delete"
    4. Do a reboot.
    5. See if the following fixed your problem...
    6. If it still doesn't work, I would try to ask for support directly from Unsanity.

4. thestaton macrumors 6502

whoa. good to know I was gonna download it but decided to wait. it looks fun can't wait to try it out.

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

OK am I the only one who didn't even consider downloading this even though I want to theme OS X? I mean really. SS from what I understand can be flaky to begin with and that is software that ISN'T beta. Its called Beta for a reason afterall and what with it messing with the OS at such a fundamentally low level it just is good sense to wait until the final release or at least a Release Candidate 2 before you start installing.
    Gah I'm starting to sound like my parents. :rolleyes:

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're making a lot of sense.

Considering that people have trouble with beta versions of browsers, why would someone use a beta version of a hack on their system? It's enough of a risk to put a time-tested version on a system you like with data you need.

I say good luck to anyone who takes such a leap of faith. I want Apple to theme their operating system but I won't take the risk to use some hack to get there.

7. comictimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

comictimes

well thank you very much Sequence, what you suggested worked perfectly. I don't know why I didn't think of simply deleteing all the shapeshifter files before, I feel like a but of an idiot. Oh well, I've had a tough week :eek:

8. Sequence macrumors member

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Shapeshifter caused a kernal panic on my Mac, and I uninstalled it ASAP,

That app is not cool IMO......:mad: