Share a FireWire HD Between 2 Machines?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tjwett, Feb 20, 2004.

1. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

I'm about to have a 2 computer setup and I'd like it very much if both machines could access my LaCie FW drive at the same time. The HD does have 2 FW ports on back. Is this possible? What if one machine is Mac and one is PC, any difference?
    Thanks.:)

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Won't work, as of course only one system may control a drive... otherwise it'd be confused as hell, trying to keep up. Now you could always get a third computer as a server, and do it that way, but it's not quite what you wanted... they do have HDs with built in network servers too, which would be closer.

i doubt you'd do any harm by trying, except perhaps frying the FW bridge...

paul

3. tjwett thread starter macrumors 68000

tjwett

Thanks. That's what I figured. Maybe I should have shelled out for that ethernet HD afterall. Oh well...

4. jtown macrumors 6502

Well, theoretically (and practically), it is possible for two machines to share a hard drive like that. But it's not easy to set up properly and I've only seen it in action in a few custom systems many years ago (10-12).

I don't know if anyone even makes that kind of setup now that nearly every computer sold has a 100mbit ethernet connection. Just plug the drive into one of the machines and share it.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

you can share anything

sharepoint can do it. The hard drive will be connected to one Mac, but the other Mac can access over a network connection.

http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/