Share a printer between mac and pc using crossover cable

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kajax101, Mar 9, 2004.

1. kajax101 macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2004
    I was able to hook my pc and mac up using a crossover cable.

I am able to share files and my boradband internet connecetion between the two computers, although I'd like to tidy things up a bit.

I do have one more question though, how hard would it be to share my printer.

Here's my set up:

iMac OS X connected to XP Laptop with crossover cable.

Able to share internet connection and files

I have a USB HP printer connected and running on my iMac, how can I print to it from my XP laptop? Is there a setting where I can setup the printer for sharing?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003

Go to Systems Preference, click Sharing (thrid line down, to the right), check off printer sharing. Done. Go see if your PC can pick it up. Might want turn on file sharing for Windows too. And if your PC is having trouble printing too it, load the drivers off the cd on to the pc directly.
  3. kajax101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2004
    My pc can't see the printer

When I try to add the printer I can see my mac computer but not the printer connected to it...any advice?
  4. Panopticon macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    You should be able to do what you want with a router that has a print server built in to it, That way, you're running an IP printer that's accessable to all printers on the network, regardless of their platforms... just have to load the printer drivers on the machines and you're golden.

That's probably the easiest and least fattening route.