Share G5 internet with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macinport, Oct 15, 2005.

1. macinport macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2005
    Greetings from Port Douglas Australia. Hope someone can help coz the local Apple shop can't. I have an ethernet network with a windoz xp pc with USB dsl modem, a G5 with airport card (OSX Tiger) and a G4 without airport card (OS 10.3.9) in another room. All working together fine, sharing files, printers and internet.

I bought an Airport Express (AE) to connect to the G4 so I could have that connect wirelessly to the G5 and eliminate the need for an ethernet cable running through the house to the G4. Tried everything I have read but no luck after many hours messing around. The AE will work when connected to the hub with ethernet and allow the G5 to connect wirelessly but I want to do the opposite...have the G5 share it's internet connection out to the AE which then connects to the G4 with a short ethernet cable.

Does anyone know of a good step by step procedure to set this up? I've looked on many forums but no one talks of a setup similar to the one I'm attempting....

Appreciate any help.
  2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    How bizarre. This set up is strange.

Assuming your G5 is connected to the windows box via ethernet:

You needed an airport extreme INTERNAL card for your G4 laptop.

Then on the G5 you need to go to system prefs and share the G5's ethernet connection with Airport connections.

Then create a ad-hoc network on the G5 and allow the G4 powerbook to connect to it.
  3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    The Airport express will not work as a receiver when hooked to the G4.
    You will need a Airport card like in your G5 to make this work.

I was toying with a similar setup and the same idea :D
    and was told the same thing by Apple.

Hope this helps.
  4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2005
    Like everyone else said, weird setup.

A Wireless Bridge would work for what you want, taking the place of the Airport Express.

Best bet is an Airport card, or the Aria extreme PCI card should do what you want.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Better to buy this Belkin 802.11g card It's quite a bit cheaper. I got it for $20 below list price. It won't work faster than 802.11g speeds but its chipset is the same that Apple users.
  6. osprey76 macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The other methods listed here are good and probably cheaper. I have done something similar to what you are trying to do, but it takes two Airport Expresses or Base Stations. You can setup the Airport device in WDS mode to create a bridge. The unfortunate thing is that only the dedicated Airport hardware can do this, not the Macs.

Below Airport Express = AE
    For example, you could have AE1 connected to your router or PC with Ethernet. AE2 would be connected to the G4 with Ethernet. AE1 would be setup as a wireless router and as a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) Base Station. The AE2 would be setup with its routing functions turned off and as a WDS Remote. The G4 (and a number of other things with a hub) will receive its IP information from AE1.

I am using a setup similar to this to get an internet connection to my XBox without wires. It's an undocumented feature, but it works. You can also have a Airport Extreme Base Station anywhere in that mix, as well. I've tried it both ways.