share game progress across devices?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by twisted-pixel, Apr 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2009
    San Jose, CA

there are a few games I have on my ipad that I also have on my iphone. When I'm out and about, I play them on my phone, at home I play them on my pad. However, is there a way to sync progress of a game between the two devices? I don't want to complete a difficult level on my phone, only to have to then try and complete it again on my pad. I guess a sync would work (as long as I did it in the right order, ie latest one first) but just wondered if there was another way I could do it automatically.

2. macrumors 6502

Oct 8, 2008
    I think the only way this would work was if the developer used iCloud for data storage. Other than that I believe there is no way to do this.
  3. macrumors member

Jun 14, 2011
    This annoys me too. I wish there was a way they could use Gamecenter to do this. Pretty annoying that I was 3/4 of the way through Angry Birds with 3 stars on every level, etc. and then upgraded from an iPod touch to an iPhone and had to start all over again.
  4. macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2012
    You don't need to lose progress when you get a new device. You can either:

1 - restore your new device from a backup of the old device. This will bring all of your save games across

2 - use iExplorer on your PC (or iPhone explorer - I think it's called - on a mac) to copy the save game files from the old device to the new one.

Both of these are one-off solutions though. If you want it to be seamless then you have to have a game that uses iCloud - and most games don't. Infinity Blade 2 and Batman: Arkham Lockdown both do though.