Share internet connection over Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mechcozmo, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Is there a way to share a internet connection from my ethernet connection over bluetooth? That way I can get my Palm on the 'net and my friend's PocketPC without burning up battery power with Airport.

I've shared from ethernet to Airport before and even to FireWire :)D) but can you do it to Bluetooth?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Try this site. There's some information and scripts on sharing bluetooth. I haven't done it, but it looks promising.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd imagine so since if you go to Internet Sharing in your system preferences, you can choose Bluetooth from the pulldown menu

4. Bear macrumors G3

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Shouldn't be that slow, BT is 128Kps which is faster than Broadband.

(Broadband = divided by 8 to get real kps speed)

6. Bear macrumors G3

7. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth takes up battery as well. Also how will you connect the ethernet to the bluetooth?? through another computer??

8. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Nope, it isn't there. First place I looked.

About a heck of a lot less than Airport Extreme. I can get 5:00 or more with Bluetooth on, and 4:30 with Airport Extreme on. 5:30 is my maximum.

Uh... ethernet cable->lappy :confused:
    Who wants to explain what djbahdow01 just posted?

EDIT: Found this linkety but haven't had time to see if it works yet.

EDIT (again): Not working. Any more ideas? Any more comments on the battery drain? (;) :p)

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sorry, I had a quick glance to see if Bluetooth was mentioned and it was. I didn't check closely enough to see that you can share the signal coming in via Bluetooth but not the signal going out via Bluetooh.

Good luck finding a solution!

10. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

So your going to run the ethernet cable to your laptop and then let the bluetooth send out to other computers/PDA'a. Don't you want the portability of the laptop.

11. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yup, thats for a Bluetooth modem or a cell phone. I kinda want to do the reverse.

Well when at school it would be temporary-- ethernet into PowerBook, Bluetooth out for friend, and then after we're done, cord comes out.
    At night I could use this feature because then I could be in my bed and online with my Palm. See, I have a loft bed, and its a PITA and dangerous to carry my PowerBook up/down the ladder. But if it is safely below sending out BT waves, then I can be on the internet :D.

An update on that earlier page...
    The AppleScript for starting to share includes the line about starting the PPP server. I made a new BT serial port named "BT_IS" for the sole purpose of sharing an internet connection. I also didn't want to screw with my Palm's settings.
    Code:
    do shell script "sudo /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty.BT_IS 115200 noauth local passive proxyarp asyncmap 0 silent persist :10.0.1.201 &" with administrator privileges
    do shell script "sudo /usr/sbin/sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1"
    do shell script "sudo /usr/sbin/natd -same_ports -use_sockets -log -deny_incoming -interface en0"
    do shell script "sudo /sbin/ipfw add divert natd ip from any to any via en0"

If I'm getting this right, by changing both of the "en0"s to "en1" I would be sharing my Airport connection, right? Run as-is I get the response "Cannot resolve network interface" so, because I'm on Airport, I'll change the 'en0' to 'en1'. This gives me this in the result pane:
    "00100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via en1"
    I'm guessing that means it is working.
    But...
    When the Palm tries to connect, it hits a snag on "Signing On". It finds the PowerBook just fine but then it stops with the error "Error: PPP timeout (0x1231)"
    Meh.
    Would it make a difference that in the article the guy has a Tungsten|T3 and I just have the |T? They both have bluetooth and are pretty similar save for processor and memory differences. Oh, and the |T3 has a bigger screen. But thats it...