Share several iMovie files to single iDVD file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 66217, Jan 5, 2007.

1. 66217 Guest

When I click share (while I have opened iDVD in the place I would like the iMovie clip to go), iMovie just opens a new iDVD window and puts there the movie.

I remember that when I used iPhoto to share a slideshow with iDVD, it would be copied directly to the place I had opened in iDVD.

Or is there a way to convert the iMovie file into a video clip? For it to appear in the movie section at iDVD.

Thanks,

Roco

2. josta macrumors member

Hi Roco,
    I did this a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it entirely answers your question, but I put 2 iphoto slideshows and 2 powerpoint presentations into 1 idvd file.

Everytime I did share/convert (ie file 2), it made a new idvd project (project 2). But since it converted slideshow 2 to a movie in the process, I just went back to my original idvd project (file 1) and added the new movie (file 2) as a chapter into the original, then trashed the idvd project 2 that opened after I transfered file 2. When I was done I had on my menu page the 2 movies and 2 slideshows.

Hope this helps. It took me a while to figure out how to do it since it was my first time using iDVD

3. 66217 thread starter Guest

Thanks for the advice, but it seems that iMovie works differently. When I share it it does not converts it to a movie.

The only solution I have found right now is to mix the 6 iMovie files into 1 big iMovie file.

Anyone else willing to share their experience and intelligence with me?:)

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You should be able to do this although each movie will have to be a separate 'button' in iDVD.

Your other iMovie projects have to be in the Movies folder so if you have them on an external drive, put an alias to the external drive in the Movies folder. Alternatively, use the QT expert settings to export the iMovie to a .mov file in your Movies folder and do it that way.

Choose the theme menu that you want to add the movie to in iDVD, click on 'Media' and then 'Movies' to highlight one of the other 5, then click the plus sign and select 'add a movie' from the drop down. It will add the one you highlighted as a button in that theme.

5. 66217 thread starter Guest

Thanks Applespider,

I think that converting to .mov files is the easier way. Maybe in the future I would start reading more about iMovie and lear how to use it from start to end. It is a very good app., and not very complicated to use, but I just didn't knew what to make to put it in iDVD.

So thanks again,

Roco.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The best book on iMovie and iDVD is the Missing Manual one by David Pogue. Lots of useful hints from first shooting the video through to editing and putting onto DVD.

To be honest, if you're not comfortable with using the various Expert Settings, it is very easy to do it through iDVD. Use the 'Share' button to push the first movie through to iDVD and then use the plus button as outlined above to grab the other iMovie project files. Then iDVD will handle all the encoding etc in the background. Much easier!