Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
IMG_0143.JPG

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
And finally my EOS M, at 55mm (closest to the 7 Plus's 56mm) f/5.6:

The iPhone's "telephoto" (not) is 56mm equivalent, so you need to shoot your aps-c camera at 35mm to match it. And f/2.8 on the iPhone 7 has the equivalent depth of field of f/18, so on aps-c it's f/11. I hope my math isn't off on the apertures, iPhone crop factor is 6.4, Canon aps-c is 1.6.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
He's right, it's not bokeh. It's a shallow DOF.

They don't hurt feelings; it's just people who know about photography are less excited about this than those who don't. Obviously.

Give it a year. Or two. What I'm seeing in this thread is a great start, with lots of potential, but I wouldn't be super happy with the soft outlines, choppy artifacts, and little errors im seeing in almost every pic.

In 2 years, when it comes to the 2018 regular-sized iPhone, it'll be amazing.

I think the thing most commenting are putting across is currently this effect is not showing enough difference in its current Beta form over what has come before other than the distance the target can be from the camera. But even then the best photos still use a closer subject.
[doublepost=1474812893][/doublepost]
Infact I see the portrait mode 7+ is better lit too.

That I a nicer example of what is capable. Personally I applaud continued development. Bokeh and Macro Photography are gorgeous things.
[doublepost=1474813215][/doublepost]
Took my little guy for a walk this morning and decided to test it out. He hates pictures!

8ccadcc987f78c11a1ecf7d674103048.jpg
5a050dbd13cb839d2dbcf2abc4538d4c.jpg
e57abb3701320a6e5bbe1942fb0cd14e.jpg
f4627c838f54c869f2f0b3696b1ad9e4.jpg
These are the best yet. What an adorable dog.

Reactions: penajmz

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
Alright since you asked and I haven't sold off my 6s Plus. I even throw in my EOS M mirrorless with DX sensor for better comparison.

This is 6s Plus, since its lens is 28mm, I moved in nearer to the subject to simulate roughly the same focal length as the 56mm on the 7 Plus:
UMdM3m3.jpg

This is the 7 Plus with depth effect:
aYNizVu.jpg

And finally my EOS M, at 55mm (closest to the 7 Plus's 56mm) f/5.6:
MxlgcV7.jpg

So you can clearly see even for a subject that's about 5-6" tall the 6s Plus wasn't able to conjure up nice background blur. The people here with shots from the 6/6s with amazing blur is either focusing on really small subjects like flowers or the background is really really far away.

So it goes to show the depth effect on the 7 Plus isn't just a gimmick. Hope this helps.
[doublepost=1474789075][/doublepost]

Bokeh can be defined as the visual quality of the blur of the background behind the subject. Quality of a blur is extremely subjective. So I wouldn't say the blur coming from the 7 Plus isn't bokeh. All you can say is it's simulated and not as good as optically generated bokeh from a good camera.

And I can see you belong to that camp too, which expects to see dSLR style bokeh before you'll consider it impressive and at the same time forgetting about the fact that this is just Beta 1 and targetted at general consumers not pro/amateur photographers.

And btw I do know a thing or two about photography. For me I still find this feature mighty exciting seeing what it can do and it's only Beta 1. And trust me, most consumers wouldn't be able to tell it's simulated and not from a PnS/dSLR
This is exactly what was needed to be posted here to show the real difference.

Reactions: bhuvanchowdhary

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
Wow, Looks at this! (Not mine. Grab from 7+ owner on Twitter)
Unbelievable for a phone camera.

CtJ3FKDWIAEUyMO.jpg:large

Very cool. Except his face through the drinking glass is sharp and his face outside the drinking glass isn't... just nit picky I guess

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Looking at some of the photos here, it seems the bokeh effect works on other objects as well, not just a human face. It was mentioned that the algorithm detects face and so may not very useful for taking photos of inanimate objects.

tsmiller

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009
IMG_0024.JPG
Looking at some of the photos here, it seems the bokeh effect works on other objects as well, not just a human face. It was mentioned that the algorithm detects face and so may not very useful for taking photos of inanimate objects.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
IMG_2840.JPG
Could someone take a photo with some fairy lights/bare light bulbs/candles in the background?
I'd like to see how it handles highlights in the background and if you get those bubble type highlights!
Not seeing many background highlights, so I'll post my own shot with my iPhone 6S plus (as the thread title just says 'post your bokeh shots' :p).
Can anyone do something similar? I'd like to see how the 7+ handles lights in the background!
Thanks.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
.. just nit picky I guess

I've never seen a software being perfect in Beta, and this problem (face behind glass) I don't think it can even be perfeced in the next couple of versions. This is hard to solve.

That said, the Depth map is almost perfect now. Looks at the difference between the table behind him, a group of people a bit further and a wall behind them. The blur is a bit enhanced between these layers. It's so good.

This is unprecedented in phone camera. Period. From the same person
CtFHD4SWAAAXDfT.jpg

SO good.

Last edited:

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
This is unprecedented in phone camera. Period. From the same person

True. It's great how the blur gets less/more blurry based on distance. Love the effect.

Don't think it's ready for prime time yet, as it can't cut people out very well yet. It's still in line with what blur apps do to fake shallow depth of field.

I do think it's very impressive tech and I can't wait to get it in the normal sized iPhone in 2018. ;)

Reactions: matrix07

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Smh. People are still saying the 6S+ can take similar shots??!
I'm saying can someone take a photo with highlights in the background such as light bulbs, headlights, candles etc to see how the simulated bokeh handles it. Whether it just applies the same blur across all the background or it picks out the highlights and adds a radial blur to them.
P.s. My 6S does real bokeh with the optical lense, not simulated with software :p but it's no where near as good as the real thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.